Top 5 picks of the week

Hollywood is still preparing for the big summer blockbuster season, so there’s not much to choose from in terms of new releases. Head out to the cinema this weekend with this handy list so you’re not left wasting your time or money.

Because I Said So

Diane Keaton and former teen pop sensation Mandy Moore star in this romantic comedy. This new release might just have what it takes to make your $9 ticket worth it, but hopefully won’t be just another formulaic “”chick flick.””

Venus

You may have missed this film as it was put in limited release late last year. Peter O’Toole – of “”Lawrence of Arabia”” fame – stars in this unique drama centered around art and love. Only playing at the Century 20 El Con Theatre.

A Clockwork Orange

Alex, the movie’s main character, needs drugged-up milk and sadistic violence to have a good time, but all you need this weekend is a movie ticket and a friend. Stanley Kubrick’s masterpiece is only playing this Friday and Saturday night at The Loft Cinema.

The Good Shepard

If you’re looking to get the most bang for your buck, this nearly three-hour film will do the trick. A-list stars Matt Damon, Angelina Jolie and Robert De Niro act out the beginnings of the CIA in this thriller.

Code Name: The Cleaner

OK, so this one isn’t a masterpiece. It is at the bargain theaters, though, so you won’t have to pay much for a few laughs. Cedric The Entertainer and Lucy Liu play super slick secret agents, but don’t go to the theater expecting another “”Casino Royale.””

– compiled by Patrick Valenzuela