FINAL: Oregon State upsets No. 7 Arizona 58-56

Arizona+guards+Elliot+Pitts+%2824%29+and+TJ+McConnel+%284%29+trudge+off+the+court+after+a+close+58-56+loss+to+OSU+at+Gill+Coliseum+in+Corvallis%2C+Ore.+
Justin Quinn

Arizona guards Elliot Pitts (24) and TJ McConnel (4) trudge off the court after a close 58-56 loss to OSU at Gill Coliseum in Corvallis, Ore.

Arizona men’s basketball bid to sweep the Oregon road trip came up short with a last minute 58-56 loss at Oregon State.

With 49.9 seconds to go, UA forward Rondae Hollis-Jefferson tied the game by hitting one of two free throws, but OSU guard Langs Morris-Walker hit a game-winning layup. Arizona had 26 seconds to tie it but only got one shot off, a miss by point guard T.J. McConnell.

There were 15 ties and 20 lead changes. The last time Arizona (14-2, 2-1 Pac-12 Conference) swept the Oregon schools on the road was 2008-09. The UA beat UO 80-62 on Thursday.

The UA shot 38 percent from the field, 24 percent from deep and 67 percent from the charity stripe. Oregon State’s shooting percentage from the field was 51 percent, 46 percent from beyond the arc and 77 percent on free throws.

Hollis-Jefferson scored 14 points and had six rebounds. McConnell scored 13 points, had six assists and six rebounds.

Battling foul trouble, forward Stanley Johnson scored seven points and grabbed three rebounds after scoring two points in the first half. Guard Gabe York added nine points.

Guard Gary Payton II led the Beavers (11-4, 2-1) with 10 points, nine rebounds and three assists.

Game nuggets:

-The Wildcats’ largest lead was four points; the Beavers’ was also four points

-Both teams scored 22 points in the paint

-The Wildcat bench scored 13 points; OSU recorded 14 points

-UA had five steals and 14 points off of turnovers

Check back with us later tonight for an analysis column of tonight’s action.