UA Spring Career Days fair prepares students for internships, jobs

With spring break finished and summer fast approaching, UA Career Services is helping students polish off their internship applications.

The UA Spring Career Days fair will help students get the application process underway, according to Susan Miller-Pinhey, marketing and special events manager for Career Services. Featuring more than 180 tables, the UA Spring Career Days will take place today and Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Grand Ballroom of the Student Union Memorial Center.

“[UA Spring Career Days] is an opportunity to one, get your resume out, talk to recruiters and, depending on your major, talk about how you can fit into that organization,” Miller-Pinhey said.

The career fair combines summer internships and full-time opportunities from a wide variety of sectors including public service, government, healthcare and industry, Miller-Pinhey added. The fair is open to all students on campus, regardless of major.

“I think students should go because it is an easy way for them to get their foot in the door in certain companies,” said Carly Babis, a psychology junior. “Having the UA accommodate the student body with such an event is a great opportunity to make connections and network.”

Both today and Wednesday will provide students with a variety of opportunities. Students seeking full-time employment after graduation, career-related experience prior to graduation or just looking for potential careers will find opportunities and useful information at the Career Days fair, Miller-Pinhey said.

“Tell [the companies] your degree and talk to them,” Miller-Pinhey said. “See how someone with that type of background can be included in that specific company.”

Students can check online to see a list of companies and the dates each company will be attending the fair. Some companies are coming to campus for the first time ever this year, according to Miller-Pinhey, including Apollo Group, Command Transportation, NetSuite and more.

“My feeling, when you are looking for a job, is you don’t want to leave any stone unturned,” Miller-Pinhey said. “It is a great opportunity to learn more and possibly get a foot in the door.”