Police Beat: February 21

Strippers, heroin and cash, oh my

A non-UA affiliated woman who had heroin and $3,310 in cash in her car was booked into the Pima County Adult Detention Center at 2:36
    p.m. on Feb. 18.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer stopped the woman’s car on Campbell Avenue and Lee Street after observing her driving erratically.

As a UAPD officer spoke with the woman, whose registration was suspended, the officer noticed she had watery, bloodshot eyes.

She then gave police consent to search the vehicle. Upon opening the passenger side door, the officer observed an open black purse with an envelope inside that contained a large wad of cash — 30 $100 bills, one $50 bill and 13 $20 bills.

The woman said the money was from the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show and that the man who paid her had put his business card in the envelope if police wanted to contact him.

Police also found a small plastic baggie in the purse with a “dark colored tar like substance” inside.

Another officer then reported to the scene with a Narcotics Analysis Reagent Kit to test the substance.

The substance tested positive for heroin, and the woman was placed under arrest.

Police searched the woman and found a small baggie of pills containing Suboxone, a prescription for heroin withdrawals, and Clonazepam, a prescription for depression, according to the police report.

The search also revealed two plastic straws and pieces of foil with burnt residue wrapped in a napkin hidden in her bra.

“I fell asleep; I forgot those were there,” she said.

The woman was taken to the UAPD station for further questioning and Tucson Wrecker towed her car.

During a taped interview with officers, the woman said she worked at TD’s East Showclub, a strip club, and that she was the only one with access to her purse.

She added she was addicted to oxycotin pills but used heroin when she couldn’t get them.

She told police that she gets the drugs from work and that it’s “routine” for customers to bring drugs into the strip club. She said she had last used heroin the morning before.

Police then transported and booked the woman into the detention center on possession of narcotic drugs and drug paraphernalia.

The date dasher

A UA student was arrested for disturbing the peace and trespassing near the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority house at 8:50 p.m. on Feb. 15.

A UAPD officer was working an overtime assignment for the sorority’s date dash when he noticed a student who he’d arrested for underage drinking less than half an hour earlier attempting to get on the buses. Police had advised him that if he did not go home, he would be at risk of getting arrested again.

The student’s pant zipper was down, his belt was unbuckled and he was swaying from side to side while waiting to board the bus in a line of approximately 200 people.

When officer yelled out the student’s name, he began to walk away, then started running as the officer called that they wanted to speak with him.

Police caught the suspect in the middle of Second Street by grabbing his arm and pulling him down. The student tried to resist, flexing his arms and pushing himself off the ground, which caused abrasions on his cheek and chin. The Tucson Fire Department
    later evaluated the injuries and cleared him.

The student was charged with third-degree trespassing, for returning to an area after officers instructed him not to, and was then booked into Pima County Jail.