Events calendar

Magnolia Electric Co. performs at Solar Culture on Monday. Photo courtesy of Secretly Canadian Records.

Wednesday, July 22
    Al Perry‘s biography is pretty simple: “”Grew up in Phoenix. Came down here to go to U of A. Started playing in bands. Never quit.”” After decades of dedication and contributions, he has become an icon to the alt-country scene in Tucson and a fixture of Plush’s front lounge area. If you haven’t heard of Al Perry before, check out his low-key performance for your introductory course to Tucson culture.
    Plush, 340 E. 6th St., 798-1298, 9:30 p.m., Free.

Thursday, July 23
    During happy hour at Vila Thai you can indulge in some exotic food for a price usually reserved for a cheeseburger on the go. Choose between such dishes as crab puffs with plum sauce, papaya salad with shrimp chips and Thai wings marinated in lemon grass, kaffir leaves, and sriracha chili sauce for a price so low you can afford to try more than one of these unique treats. What’s more, Vila Thai offers free WiFi for those who want to get some work done and Thursday $2.50 Singha beer nights for those who want to relax.
    Vila Thai, 972 E. University Blvd., 393-3489, Monday – Thursday, 3 p.m. – 6 p.m., $3 menu items with $4 minimum drink purchase.

Friday, July 24
    Members of Texan rock trio Girl In A Coma are ladies of many influences. Named after a Smiths’ song, they look like The Donnas and have an alt-rock sound where the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Teagan and Sara meet The Pretenders. Add on top of all of this a splash of girl-fronted ’90s alternative rock nostalgia, and you’ve got yourself a show.
    Plush, 340 E. 6th St., 798-1298, doors open 9 p.m., $5.

Saturday, July 25
    Spice up your life with Salsa Saturdays at El Parador, a weekly night featuring live salsa groups, a tropical atmosphere, and a slew of saucy dance moves from Tucsonans looking to make this summer Saturday night even hotter.
    El Parador Restaurant, 2744 E. Broadway Blvd., 881-2744, 10 p.m. – 2 a.m., $7, 21+.

Sunday, July 26
    Casiotone for the Painfully Alone will be performing a pretty diverse range of music, as singer-songwriter Owen Ashworth is an artist in a state of flux. Some of his past songs have a Royskopp meets Hot Chip indie-electronic aesthetic, while his newest album, though still featuring electronic samples, takes on a heartier folk-pop sound. Both branches of music feature a low-key, softhearted aesthetic that will be performed in an antiquated venue covered with local art.
    Solar Culture, 31 E. Toole Ave., 884-0874, 8 p.m., $7.

Monday, July 27
    Frontman Jason Molina of alt-country band Magnolia Electric Co. has a voice that will seduce your emotions if you’re not careful. Sure, his croon seems simple enough, but it is in his down-home simplicity that the charm ensues, the kind of charm that evokes feelings one might get from hearing a smoother, more contemporary Neil Young. Magnolia Electric Co.’s newest album Josephine, released July 21, isn’t the next Harvest Moon. But in its soulful lyrics and an ever-growing variety of instruments, you can catch a passion that bands typically possess when they are touring a brand new album.
    Solar Culture, 31 E. Toole Ave., 884-0874, 9 p.m., $10.

Tuesday, July 28
    Tomorrow is the last day to catch the on-campus exhibit “”Sunshine on Cast Shadow: David Choong Lee.”” In this show, Lee’s influences are Rembrandt’s figural approach, Van Gogh’s use of bright colors, and a DJ movement that projects all of his influences through an urban lens. Lee’s show will deliver technically talented and thematically contemporary work, so be sure not to miss it.
    Joseph Gross Gallery, 1031 N. Olive Rd., (520) 626-4215, Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Free.