The Hungry Student: Epic Cafe epically embraces Tucson food and culture

Zi Yang Lai

Streetlights illuminate Epic Cafe on Thursday, Oct. 1. The cafe is located at 745 N. Fourth Ave.

Epic Cafe is local, affordable and unique when compared to other breakfast and lunch spots around the UA campus. 

Guests can order their favorite soups, salads and sandwiches 363 days a year from 6 a.m to midnight. Aside from its extensive menu, Epic Cafe also contains an in-house bakery, producing some of the freshest and most delicious pastries in all of Tucson. 

The cafe is located on the cusp of Tucson’s infamous Fourth Avenue, which is home to many different cafes similar to Epic. 

What makes Epic Cafe unique is the large amount of community support inside the establishment. The walls are filled with promotional flyers of upcoming events and other local information. 

The menu is separated into sections that are titled “Breakfast,” “Sweets,” “Ice Cream,” “Sandwiches,” “Soups” and  “Salads,” clearly providing a fair amount of variety. 

For a typical lunch at Epic, a sandwich or sandwich-and-soup combo will cost about $9 altogether. In terms of bread selections, the options are extensive. The cafe allows the customer to choose from a plethora of bread types, making the experience personal to each customer’s specific tastes. 

Sandwiches are served in a timely manner with a side of chips. Portions are large, and the ingredients appeared to be and tasted extremely fresh. 

The “Au Natural,” a house favorite, was perfectly smeared with a light coating of mayo and mustard, layered with fresh turkey, cheese and lots of crunchy sprouts. The dish was simply delectable. 

In terms of the cafe itself, it did seem to feel a bit quiet at times. There’s nothing wrong with creating an inspiring environment in a motivative setting, but some background tunes never hurt anyone. 

Employees behind the counter were attentive and helpful and had the knowledge to recommend almost everything the menu offered, making it easy for a customer who has never been to Epic Cafe before to find their new favorite meal. 

It’s no doubt that if a hungry student were to visit Epic they would leave feeling full and satisfied as well as refreshed and aware of local happenings.

One of the most important things about taking a break in the day for breakfast or lunch is to find a spot where the customer feels they can relax in the midst of their busy day. Epic Cafe creates this environment for students, business professionals, workers and locals alike.

Follow Kristine Bruun-Andersen on Twitter.