College Football Takeaways-Week Four: Pac-12 shakeup

The Wildcats’ offense lines up for a play against UCLA on Saturday, Sept. 26. Arizona lost to UCLA 56-30.

Pac-12 Conference blowouts, running backs running wild and a traditional powerhouse rising from the ashes. Week four had it all as college football amped up the excitement with conference play, and we can only expect the games to get better. Here are some college football takeaways from week four.

Pac-12 eliminator

The Pac-12 entered this week with two high profile match-ups of ranked teams with Utah facing off against Oregon and UCLA battling Arizona.

The atmosphere implied the Pac-12 would once again show off the conference’s best teams in two nationally televised games. But instead, the night ended with two complete blowouts by halftime and an even clearer picture of which Pac-12 contenders are actually still competing for a playoff spot.

The Bruins controlled the matchup in Arizona right from their first possession. Paul Perkins ran for three touchdowns as UCLA built a 28-point halftime lead.

To make matters worse for the Wildcats, quarterback Anu Solomon left the game early with a concussion and is questionable for this weeks showdown with Stanford.

Utah, on the other hand, gave Oregon its worst home loss since 1977, a massive 62-20 beat down of the Ducks, who are now likely out of the playoff picture.

The Utes are now No. 10 in the country and the only team standing in their road to a Pac-12 South title appears to be the Bruins. When the two teams face off, it could decide who will represent the Pac-12 in this year’s playoff. One can only hope the conference does not lose another national contender.

The mighty man of Michigan

Jim Harbaugh taking the head coaching job at Michigan instantly returned the Wolverines to national relevance. However, after an opening week struggle against Utah, it appeared the return to spotlight would take longer than expected.

Harbaugh has proved that to be wrong as he has flipped the script and has Michigan ranked for the first time in two years after its convincing upset over then No. 22 BYU. Since the Wolverines’ opening-week loss to Utah, Michigan has only allowed 14 points and has scored 94 points in its last three games.

Expect the Wolverines to continue this momentum into Big Ten play and expect more shocking wins as this team grows under Harbaugh.

Running away with the Heisman

The last five years have seen quarterbacks walk away with college football’s most prestigious award, the Heisman Trophy. However, it appears two SEC running backs are locked in a two-way race for player of the year this season.

LSU’s Leonard Fournette has been on a tear in only his second year of college ball. He has already rushed for over 600 yards and has recorded 200-plus-yard games on the ground in each of the last two weeks.

On the other side of the conference, Nick Chubb of Georgia ran for over 100 yards for the 12th straight time, tying the school record set by Herschel Walker.

Chubb and Fournette have carried their team’s offenses and no team, in or out of the SEC, has shown any sign of slowing them down. Their stat lines should only improve as the season progresses, with both on pace to rush for over 2,500 yards this season.

Follow Noah Sonnet on Twitter.