Arizona opens conference play with a loss to Utah

Jackie Cabrera
Hope Hisey (0) kicks the ball during the Arizona soccer team’s game against USC on Murphey Field at Mulcahy Soccer Stadium Oct. 3, 2021. The final score was a 4-1 loss for the Wildcats.

The Arizona soccer team opened up Pac-12 conference play Friday evening, falling on the road to the University of Utah 1-2 in Salt Lake City.

Arizona, (3-3-2, 0-1-0) scored in the 13th minute from a give-and-go. Gianna Christiansen brought the ball past the midfield where the sophomore midfielder passed it to Sami Baytosh, who passed it right back to Christiansen to earn her second career assist on the goal.

Utah, (5-2-2, 1-0-0) tied the match in the 19th minute sending the game to a tie at halftime.

The tie continued until Utah took control of the match in the 53rd minute after a corner kick allowed the Utes to take a 2-1 lead.

Arizona unsuccessfully tried to strike back two more times in the remaining 37 minutes.

Utah outed the Wildcats in shots and shots on goal. Arizona was held to seven shots and two on goal as the Utes had 12 shots resulting in five shots on goal.

Hope Hisey had a trio of saves in the match bringing her career total to 255 saves, which moves her to fifth place in Arizona program history for career saves.

Arizona will return to Tucson to play against Stanford University on Murphey Field at Mulcahy Soccer Stadium Thursday, Sept. 29, at 7:00 p.m.

Follow Devin Homer on Twitter