Students give their two cents on the Thanksgiving story

Remember when you were in second grade and — much like in college — you couldn’t contain your excitement to have a four-day weekend? Teachers would gather you around to make hand turkeys and tell you about the good old days when the Pilgrims and the Native Americans sat around the table and blessed the food and company they were given.

Well, now that we are older and have gone through quite a few history classes since the days of swinging on the monkey bars, what does the Thanksgiving story mean to us now? Here’s what some of you told us …

“”I think that we should stop telling made-up stories to children in elementary school. There is a lack of responsibility that we have when it comes to teaching our children the truth. It should be an obligation to tell them what really happened.””

— John Kozel, history senior

“”I don’t really know the original origin of the story, but looking back on all the years of history and all the abuse we have put on Native Americans, it’s hard to believe that actually happened. But hell, I’ll take a week off for it. It’s like if they changed the story of the Alamo: We didn’t lose, we just traded some fur for tequila.””

— Max Goldman, psychology sophomore

“”I think it’s a total crock of lies. I think it’s a story that we created as Americans in order to justify the fact that we took all this land from the Native Americans. We are using the example of a Sunday dinner as a liaison between the two peoples, when in actuality I don’t think there ever was that sort of connection.””

— Liz Wilshin, anthropology sophomore

“”When you think about your childhood, there are so many things that aren’t true. Like the story of Thanksgiving; that is such a warm and fuzzy thing — we made peace with Indians. But no, we didn’t do that. You sort of say, ‘What’s up with that?’ Why wouldn’t we just know the truth from childhood? It’s like your hopes and dreams are crushed, like some man can bring you presents for free just because he loves you and you have done right. It’s a fantasy, it’s misleading to children.””

— Lucas Steele, business junior

“”I think that the Thanksgiving story is a lie. It is made up by a bunch of people who want kids to think that we made it in with the Native Americans right away, when in fact, we took their land and brought disease. I think Thanksgiving is just a reason to make us feel better about ourselves.””

— Alan Crombie, theatre arts senior