UAPD honors community help

James Wooten, lead plumber in the UA facilities management department, receives an award certificate from Chief Anthony Daykin at University of Arizona Police Department main station on Wednesday, Oct 3. Wooten and other community members were honored for helping the UAPD crack crimes and catch criminals.

UAPD recognizes the help of the community when it comes to stopping crime.

The University of Arizona Police Department has 57 police officers serving a population of 50,000 UA community members on a single given day, according to Sgt. Juan Alvarez. “”We just can’t be everywhere at once,”” he said.

Often times, community members help solve a case by giving UAPD leads or turning in a suspect. To show their appreciation, UAPD held an awards ceremony at their main station on Wednesday. The ceremony began at 11:30 a.m., and Alvarez opened by introducing Chief Anthony Daykin and subsequently honored six community members who have helped law enforcement.

“”It’s something we’ve done in the past sporadically, but now we want to start doing it at least twice a year,”” Alvarez said. “”It’s important to recognize these people.””

Alvarez also said he feels recognition is one of the main motivators for community members to help out law enforcement. Daykin presented the six individuals with a coin and certificate.

“”These people give tips, provide details of suspects, and willingly help out,”” Alvarez said.

The first to be recognized was Bethany Anderson, who was working in her office on campus when she witnessed a man trying to steal a bicycle. “”We see that there’s a bit of a bicycle theme today,”” Alvarez said.

UAPD also honored James Wooten, who has worked with UA facilities management for two and a half years. “”It’s nice to be recognized for something other than what I do,”” he said, though he did have mixed feelings about receiving an award at first. Wooten is the lead plumber in the department, and noticed a man carrying two buckets full of scrap pieces of metal. He suspected that they didn’t actually belong to the man so he called UAPD. His hunch was right, and officers were able to make contact with the suspect.

Another woman honored was Barbra Quade, the wife of a UA geological sciences and anthropology professor. “”I usually like to take walks at 5 a.m.,”” she said, as she told the story of how she witnessed a bike theft. “”UAPD was very, very responsive.”” Quade did not have a cell phone on her at the time that she saw two suspects steal a bike from the Main Library. “”I called from one of the emergency phones, and thought, ‘How are they going to catch them?’ But in fact, I talked to police again on my way back from my walk, and they said they had actually caught the two suspects … they did a fantastic job.””

Other people who were recognized at the ceremony were Jacques Boubeka, Rick Harbaugh and Pima County Bike Ambassadors.

“”It’s nice to know that by having people like you here among us in our community, we’ll be able to make it a better place,”” Daykin said. “”And all the efforts that take place by all our people, uniform and non-uniform, that work in the partnership and support UAPD … enable us to have the kind of compartment we need behind the scenes, to be able to work in partnership and accomplish what we do.””

Guests were invited to refreshments in the UAPD conference after the awards ceremony, which Alvarez said will be “”one of many to come.””