This past summer’s most memorable concerts

Courtesy of Kamp Student

Radio Members of the band RX Bandits, Matthew Embree, Steve Choi, Chris Tsagakis and Joe Troy, perform.

Although Arizona may seem to die down in the summer since everyone is traveling to escape the heat, these past few months were full of stellar shows from a variety of genres. I was fortunate enough to do press for several events both here and in Phoenix, and I can definitely say these shows gave life to the desert in the harsh summer months.

Kikagaku Moyo and The Myrrors at The Flycatcher: Kikagaku Moyo graced us with their presence on their way back from Austin Psych Fest to give Tucson a taste of Japanese psychedelia. Their performance ranged from atmospheric soundscapes to a face-melting shred show. If you’re to follow any local band, I would recommend The Myrrors first and foremost. These guys bring that psychedelic drone sound with Native American-inspired instrumentation and melodies. Be on the lookout for their upcoming album.

Nightmares on Wax at Crescent Ballroom: Warp Records original artist and legend Nightmares on Wax came to Phoenix for the first time this summer. He’s not the kind of disc jockey to just hit play and hide behind his laptop. Rather, he mixes everything live and is complemented by his two MCs and live drummer. He’s played everything from hip hop-influenced releases, acid house jams and, of course, some high-energy tracks off his latest album, N.O.W. Is The Time — my favorite of 2014 so far.

RX Bandits and The Dear Hunter at Crescent Ballroom: They’re back! Many of us were devastated in 2011 when RX Bandits appeared to announce they were breaking up. However, this summer rejuvenated all reggae, ska and alternative fans alike when RX Bandits rejoined and released their newest album, Gemini, Her Majesty. The show was fueled with energy from grateful fans and nothing but love and positivity from the band members themselves. The Dear Hunter co-headlined and was a perfect fit for the show. Its wide range of genres were on full display throughout its set, giving each audience member something to be intrigued with while keeping them in anticipation for the next track.

—Parisa Eshrati is a guest columnist from KAMP Radio.