Men’s tennis hosts Arizona Classic Invite

The Arizona men’s tennis team will host the first-ever Arizona Fall Classic Invite at the Robson Tennis Center today through Sunday. The event kicks off the home portion of the squad’s fall schedule.

UA head coach Tad Berkowitz said that the Wildcats are excited to host a new tournament, especially since it’s only been in the works for a short amount of time.

“”We literally just put the tournament together two weeks ago,”” Berkowitz said.

Arizona will compete against New Mexico, Northern Arizona and Scottsdale Community College.

Berkowitz said that being at home would be a nice change from last week’s away games, in which fifth-year senior Francois VanderMerwe and sophomore Pat Metham took the title at the Aggie Fall Invite in Las Cruces, N.M. Even though Metham won’t be able to play the upcoming invite due to illness, Berkowitz said he is pleased the players will have a home-court advantage.

“”It will be nice for the guys to sleep in their own beds, eat the foods they’re used to eating, and a lot of the guys can still make it to class the next day,”” Berkowitz said. “”It’s always nice to play at home, and we’re hoping to build on some good results from last weekend.””

Berkowitz said it was good for VanderMerwe to start the 2008 season off successfully and build confidence to take into this weekend.

“”He had a nice tournament last week so hopefully he can continue his momentum and continue the confidence he’s building,”” Berkowitz said.

New Mexico finished its 2007-08 season with a 20-8 recordÿ- the Lobos’ best in 13 years – ending ranked No. 41 in the nation.

UNM Junior Chandler Brass, who redshirted last season, and sophomore Joe Wood – who went 7-7 in singles and 5-5 in doubles last fall – will lead the Lobos.

Berkowitz said he is looking forward to the tournament and hopes everything goes smoothly in the new tournament.

“”We’re happy to be at home and hoping to have a Wildcat win in one of our first tournaments ever,”” Berkowitz said.