Student killed in Cherry Avenue garage shooting

Breaking News (Illustration by Pascal Albright | Daily Wildcat) 

A University of Arizona student has died according to an email sent out by President Dr. Robert C. Robbins Sunday, Feb. 21. According to the email, the student was killed in a shooting that occurred last night at the Cherry Avenue garage, which is located next to the Bear Down Stadium. 

At 11:25 p.m. Saturday, a UAlert was sent out informing the community that there had been a shooting at the Cherry Avenue garage. It also stated that the suspect was in or driving a four-door, red Cadillac SUV that was last seen heading north on Cherry Avenue. 

Robbins said in the email that UA Police Department responded to the call of shots fired around 11 p.m. to find the student with gunshot wounds, which they provided life-saving efforts to. The student was pronounced dead at the scene. 

A UA fraternity, Zeta Beta Tau, confirmed on Sunday via Instagram the identity of the student that had belonged to their chapter, Forrest Keys*. 

Robbins also confirmed via email Monday evening that the student was Forrest Keys, a 20-year-old sophomore majoring in communications. In his second email, Robbins confirmed that UAPD has increased patrols as a precaution. 

Robbins also said that there is no ongoing threat to campus, which was reiterated in the UAlert sent at 5:27 a.m. Sunday that stated there is no ongoing threat to campus as well. 

A 17-year-old suspect, Alonzo Orosco was arrested Thursday, Feb. 25 in connection to the homicide. Orosco was charged with first-degree murder and drive-by shooting*.  

“What we do know is that U of A Police responded to a report of a shooting and located an adult male with gunshot trauma, who was pronounced deceased. TPD was contacted to assist in the investigation and our homicide unit is currently working on the case as we speak, there is no threat to students or the public reference this incident,” said Sergeant Richard Gradillas of TPD in an email to the Daily Wildcat

The Keys family scheduled a public virtual memorial service Saturday, Feb. 26, and ZBT is planning an official vigil. according to an email from Robbins*.   

Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call UAPD and TPD at 520-88-CRIME or 520-882-7463. Counseling and Psych Services is available 24/7 for students at 520-621-3334. 

*Editor’s Note: This article has been updated with new information regarding the identity of the student, an arrested suspect and memorial service information. 

Follow Maggie Rockwell on Twitter