Cross country heads to Minnesota

Tyler Baker
Tyler Baker / Arizona Daily Wildcat Collins Kibet crosses the finish line on Sept. 20, 2013.

This weekend the Arizona cross country teams head to Minnesota to compete in the 28th Annual Roy Griak Invitational.

The race will be held at the Les Bolstad Golf Course in Minneapolis. More than 4,500 high school and college runners will compete during the meet, which is one of the nation’s largest. The men will run an 8,000 meter course, while the women will run 6,000 meters.

The first seven runners from each race will be scored and receive points. The scoring is new for the men’s race this year.

On the women’s side: sophomore Kayla Beattie, senior Meg Bellino, junior Stephanie Bulder, junior Daylee Burr, sophomore Molly Callahan, junior Nicci Corbin, junior Clea Formaz, freshman McKenna Gaffney, senior Elvin Kibet, freshman Maria Larsson, senior Erin Menefee, junior Kate Penney, junior Hanna Peterson and senior Amanda Russell for Arizona.

“We still have girls that are capable of stepping up even more and that’s what we need if we really want to be a top finisher at the NCAA Championships,” head coach James Li said.

For the men: freshman Matthew Beer, junior Kenji Bierig, freshman Michael Cox, freshman Jeff Gautreau, sophomore Dylan Hopper, freshman Collins Kibet, sophomore Jonas Legernes, junior Sam Macaluso, freshman Travis Thorne, junior Braden Timpe, freshman Brendan Tinoco, junior Thomas Valente and sophomore Sam Willis will run for the UA.

At last week’s meet, the Dave Murray Invitational, which was in Tucson, both the men’s and women’s team took home first place with 19 points each.

From the women’s team, Larsson finished first place overall with a time of 16:31.73 and from the men’s team, Kibet came in first place with 21:29.89

— Follow Makenzie Thiel @makenziethiel