Arizona baseball team takes three of four games from Nevada in weekend series

Nathanial Stenchever

Cameron Lalinerte a catcher on the Arizona baseball team high fives his first base coach after getting a base hit on April 22 at Hi Corbett field. The Wildcats would win in extra innings 7-6.

The Arizona baseball team took three of four games in a weekend series against Nevada at Hi Corbett Field. Here is a look at how each game went down. 

Thursday: Arizona wins 6-5

Nevada struck first against Arizona starter Chandler Murphy with three runs in the second inning.

Chase Davis put the Wildcats on the board with an RBI single in the fourth inning before Nevada struck back with a run of their own the following frame.

Murphy wound up pitching 5.2 innings, allowing four runs on nine hits to go along with one strikeout. 

After Davis drove in another run in the sixth inning with a sacrifice fly to cut the deficit to 4-2, the Wildcats rallied with three runs in the seventh inning to take a 5-4 lead off a solo home run hit by Tony Bullard to go along with RBI base hits by Tanner O’Tremba and Daniel Susac. 

Nevada tied the game up at 5-5 in the eighth inning before Davis drew a bases loaded walk in the ninth inning to win the game for Arizona. 

Friday: Arizona wins 7-6

For the second straight night, Nevada struck first with three runs in the second inning. This time off starter TJ Nichols. 

The Wildcats countered with three runs of their own the next half inning that included a two-run home run hit by Mac Bingham. 

It was 4-4 entering the eighth inning when Garen Caulfield hit a two-run single and Daniel Susac hit a sacrifice fly to put the Wildcats ahead 7-4.

Nevada made a late push with two runs in the ninth inning, but Arizona held on as Trevor Long earned his second straight win after also earning the win on Thursday.

RELATED: Key stats from Arizona baseball win Friday against Nevada

Saturday: Nevada wins 2-0

For the third straight game, Nevada struck first. This time with two runs in the first inning off starter Garrett Irvin.

Irvin was able to settle in, allowing just two hits over seven scoreless innings after the first frame. 

Those early runs for Nevada went on to be the difference as starter Cam Walty tossed a complete game shutout against the Wildcats. Arizona collected just three hits against him and Tanner O’Tremba in the first inning was the only Wildcat to even reach third base all game. 

Sunday: Arizona wins 8-2

After Nevada struck first each of the previous three games, the Wildcats didn’t let that happen again as they plated five runs in the second inning. Blake Paugh hit an RBI single before Nik McClaughry cleared the bases with a double. 

Anthony Susac was on the mound for Arizona. After walking the first batter, he retired the next 12 Nevada hitters he faced. 

The no-hitter ended in the fifth inning as Nevada scored their first run.

Susac went five innings, allowing one run on two hits to go along with four strikeouts and two walks.

The Wildcats plated three more runs in the sixth inning off an RBI single by Daniel Susac and two-run home run by Chase Davis. 

After falling behind early each of the previous three games, Arizona manager Chip Hale made it clear to the team how important it is to score early. 

“We talked about it after the game [on Saturday] just about how we keep falling behind the first couple innings and it has been tough for us,” Hale said. “[It is] really important for the pitcher to come out of the bullpen ready to go and ready to shut them down early. I think [Susac] did a really nice job.”

The Wildcats will now prepare for a home game on Tuesday against Grand Canyon with first pitch scheduled for 6:00 p.m. MST. 

Follow Ari Koslow on Twitter