Native Perspectives photo exhibit open

Photographs showcasing the modern lives of Native Americans will go on display this week in the “”Native Perspectives”” photography exhibit at the Arizona State Museum. Local photographers associated with the UA shot the photos, said Amanda Bahe, pre-health senior and one of the featured photographers of the exhibit.

The exhibit features the work of Bahe and five other photographers. Bahe has three photos in the exhibit.

“”They are photos I took from back home of my little brother with his livestock and riding horses,”” Bahe said.

The exhibit previews some of the stories in Native Perspectives, a student newspaper printed each semester that covers what native America currently is. The exhibit, Bahe said, is an expansion on the Native Perspectives publication.

“”What we experience in our everyday lives may be totally different than what people think Native Americans are like,”” Bahe said. “”The photos fit into our theme of what it means to live in native America and what it means to be Native American.””

The photographs mainly feature the lives of the Navajo. Bahe said the exhibit aims to get rid of the stereotypes people have about Native Americans.

“”For us, it is all about empowering our people, ourselves, getting the message out there that we are just like everybody else, whether or not people see it,”” Bahe said. “”We wanted a more contemporary view of what it means to be Navajo or Hopi or whatever these artists are, to show that this is what it is like to live our lifestyle.””

The date of opening night was uncertain at press time due to delays printing the photographs, Bahe said, but the exhibit will be open to the public by the end of the week.