Campus ‘Cats: Casey Sapio

You are journalism major. What do you hope to accomplish with journalism?
    Eventually I want to be a sports photographer, hopefully in the NBA. I just like it because there is so much you can do with photography. If I get sick of it, I can be a freelance photographer. There are also a lot of opportunities to travel and I would really like to travel more.

How do the photography classes at the U of A compare to those offered at Pima?
    Pima offered a lot of photography classes and they were a lot easier to register for them at Pima than at the U of A, because of all the departments that involve photography.

You transferred to the U of A from Pima Community College? How was the transition?
    Pima was pretty easy for the two years that I went there. Coming to the U of A was kind of like a slap in the face, because I have to put in a lot more work. The professors here demand more of you and it’s not just “”easy A”” classes. I am now getting the hang of being a full-time student at the U of A, even though it took me later in the semester to do that. It is still a hard transition.

What kinds of things did you do to help yourself transition?
    I have been going to study groups for tests and just trying to dedicate more time to school and doing projects. My weakness is just doing so much homework that I wasn’t used to doing at Pima.

What advice would you give to students who transferred or will be transferring from Pima to the U of A?
    Students should talk to the U of A counselors as soon as they can so they know what credits they can transfer over. They should have an idea on what you want your major to be. Also, they should be prepared to put in a lot more work than they are used to and try to put aside more time for school.
    -Kelsey Ahlmark