Police Beat: February 3, 2015

Up the ladder
A UA staff member reported a large extending ladder found within an enclosed area that protects the two main gas lines at the College of Medicine — Tucson Heating and Cooling on Jan. 28.

The University of Arizona Police Department was contacted due to the location of the ladder. It was found inside the gas area leaning up against the northwest, 10-foot, slump brick wall that has one locked door for access and exit at 1515 N. Cherry Ave.

The staff member said that the 15.5-foot telescoping extension ladder is very expensive and that no UA Facilities Management shop uses that kind of ladder to his knowledge. He said the ladder could have been left behind by a contractor, but that was very unlikely.

A security camera is mounted on the south wall of the Heating and Cooling Plant, but nothing unusual was seen by the Facilities Management electrician who reviewed the footage when asked by the UA staff member.

The Alpha Sigma Phi fraternity house was contacted due to their location south of the ladder, but the president of the house said he knew nothing about any house members trying to get inside the enclosed area.

The superintendent of Facilities Management plants arrived at the Heating and Cooling Plant and was advised that the area of the gas lines could use additional security. He said he would look into putting something on top of the brick wall to discourage anyone from trying to jump over it.

No Facilities Management shops have reported any missing items or unusual activity. The ladder was placed into property as found property. No criminal violation occurred at this time.

Sniffed out
A UA student was diverted for possession of marijuana and paraphernalia on Jan. 27.

The UAPD was contacted by the resident assistant at the Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall, who could smell marijuana on the fourth floor.

UAPD officers were escorted to the fourth floor where they also smelled marijuana. The primary officer smelled the exterior doors of rooms in the hallway until the smell became stronger, stopping at a specific door. 

One officer knocked on the door, and after three minutes, a man answered. He said he was the resident of the room and provided consent for the officers to enter.

A UAPD officer immediately saw a small tan glass pipe with green lines sitting on an air conditioning/heating unit located on the southern portion of the room. The pipe had burned marijuana in its bowl.

The student was read his Miranda rights once the officer verified that he was the sole resident of the room.

The student said that the pipe was his, and he smoked marijuana in his room approximately an hour prior to the officers’ arrival.

He went into his trash can and retrieved a baggie containing a green leafy substance, which the officer recognized as marijuana. All of the paperwork for the student’s diversion to the UA Dean of Students Office was completed.