Wildcats women’s tennis faces tough test on road against UCLA and USC

Darien Bakas
Arizona tennis players watch and encourage a teammate during a meet against Sacramento State on Saturday, March 26. The Wildcats have a tough battle on the road, matching up against USC and UCLA.

After another up-and -down weekend filled with an emotional victory over Washington State and a heart-breaking loss to Washington, the Arizona women’s tennis team will hope to recover to close out the season.

This weekend, the Wildcats will play two road matches against No. 23 UCLA and No. 24 USC. This will be the last and toughest road trip for the team this season.

Head coach Vicky Maes spoke about this week’s upcoming matches.

“We’re facing two really outstanding teams and nothing will be given to us in this match,” Maes said. “But we can’t just accept that. We have to go out there are fight for it.”

Maes will try to inspire a team coming off a weekend that saw itself playing great tennis on Friday, and earning its first Pac-12 win of the season, but then falling apart and losing a match it should have won.

Looking at this weekend’s matches, Friday will see the Wildcats face USC in a match that means everything to the Trojans, who are tied for No. 1 with California in the Pac-12 Conference standings.

While Arizona would love to halt the Trojans’ run to yet another conference title, USC head coach and last year’s Pac-12 Coach of the Year, Richard Gallien, will have his Women of Troy more than ready for Arizona this weekend.

It goes without saying the Trojans have a stacked roster that may be as good as Cal’s. Six of the USC athletes have notched double-digit wins in singles. Senior Giuliana Olmos is ranked No. 22 in ITA rankings, an early sign that the Wildcats will have to work for every single point.

The news only gets worse for the Wildcats when they play UCLA, as the Bruins are riding a four-match win streak.

The Bruins are lead by Catherine Harrison, the senior from Tennessee who has gone above and beyond this season, already collecting 20 wins. Paired with fellow senior, Laura Luca, the duo has gone 12-1 in doubles play this season.

Follow Daily Wildcat on Twitter.