Police Beat: September 19

Don’t share medications

Two UA students were arrested for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia at 12:15 a.m. on Sunday.

While conducting a security check, a UAPD officer spotted a man and a woman smoking on the northwest corner of the top level of a parking garage on campus.

They initially appeared to be sharing a cigarette, but when the woman saw the police car, she gave the item to the man, who then threw it away from the garage.

As the UAPD officer approached the students, there was then a strong smell of marijuana. There was also a glass jar next to the man, which was found to contain .7 grams of marijuana. In between the man’s legs, there was also an open cigar package with one cigar, a pair of scissors and loose tobacco.

The male student showed the officer his medical marijuana card and said he was taking his medicine. He explained how he had removed the tobacco from the cigars and used them to smoke his marijuana. He also admitted to sharing his medicine with the other student, although he knew he wasn’t supposed to possess or use marijuana on campus.

While looking around the scene, the officer found a blunt containing .2 grams of marijuana between the students and the wall.

Both students were cited and released at the scene.

Thief on wheels

At 6:20 a.m. on Sunday, UAPD officers arrested a man, unaffiliated with the UA, for possession of stolen property.

Officers noticed two men riding their bikes around a residence hall at 6:20 a.m. While one of the bike riders continued on, the other, who was wearing a bulky backpack, stopped around a bike rack outside of a residence hall and started looking at the bikes.

When the man noticed the officers, he started quickly walking away. When stopped, he said that he was looking for a place to smoke. Officers found no cigarettes on the man. However, they did notice that his front tire was a mountain bike tire, while the back tire was a road bike tire.

In addition to the random tires, the serial number on the body of the bike matched that of a bike reported as stolen two days before. When officers went through the man’s bag, there were tools associated with bike theft inside.

The man was arrested and transported to Pima County Jail, where he was booked on a misdemeanor charge of theft. He was also served a six-month exclusionary order.

Officers placed the bike into safekeeping and contacted its owner.

Lover’s quarrel

At 1:35 a.m. on Sunday, a man and a woman, both unaffiliated with the UA, were arrested on charges of minor in possession of alcohol in body near the UA campus.

At approximately 1:20 a.m., a UAPD officer saw the man and woman arguing as they walked down the street. It appeared that the man was pushing the woman and forcefully holding on to her arm.

Another officer showed up to assist the first, and they split up the pair to ask questions. The man said that he was trying to stop the woman from walking into the road.

The woman was questioned separately and also said that the man had been trying to stop her from entering the road. They smelled strongly of alcohol, and both the man and the woman admitted to drinking earlier that night.

Officers saw no signs of domestic violence or assault.

The couple was cited and released at the scene.

– Follow Micah Montiel @MicahMontiel