Did You Know

•  Students can download a copy of the current version of Microsoft Office for their PC or Mac as well as one Microsoft Windows upgrade for free through the student licenses under the Microsoft Campus Agreement.
  • The UA Bookstores offers a textbook price match guarantee regardless of the textbook retailer as long as customers provide a screenshot of the competing provider’s listing within sevens days of the purchase.
  • The Turtle Pond, also known as the President’s Pond, is a hidden oasis located on the southeast corner of Park Avenue and Second Street where students can enjoy a garden view and make friends with the pond’s turtles.
  • Students can reserve a variety of multimedia equipment—DSLR cameras, microphones, audio recorders, tripods, 3D cameras and more—for 72 hours at no cost through the Gear-to-Go Center located on the ground floor of the Computer Center, Room 214C.
  • Unpaid parking tickets may result in a parking boot on your vehicle. The UA may withhold academic records until payment.
  • The 1984 film “Revenge of the Nerds” was filmed at various locations on and around the UA campus, including current Alpha Beta fraternity house, Old Main, Bear Down Gym, Cochise Residence Hall and other former fraternity and sorority houses.
  • The UA received approval to start the university in 1885, nearly 30 years before Arizona became a state.
  • During World War II, underground utility tunnels built in 1931 that linked buildings on campus were used as bomb shelters and storage for food and water in case of an emergency. Today, the entrances to the tunnels are sealed.
  • The UA’s astronomy departments have worked closely on projects, missions and research with NASA since its founding in 1958.
  • ZonaZoo won the National Collegiate Student Section Association’s #LoudAndProud 2015 Student Section of the Year Award on April 6. Additionally, in 2009, ESPN named ZonaZoo the largest student section the Pac-12 Conference.
  • Spring Fling is the nation’s largest student-run carnival, which is coordinated entirely by the Associated Students of the University of Arizona and attracts more than 25,000 guests.
  • A mythical creature lives in the courtyard garden just west of the Stevie Eller Dance Theatre.
  • Students can find a bench near the Music building in the sculpture garden that is composed of a treble clef, staff bar and musical notes.
  • A working clock built for Louis XV still ticks inside the Kuiper Space Sciences Building.
  • The bell from the USS Arizona battleship, which sank at Pearl Harbor in 1941, can be found in the Student Union Memorial Center clock tower.
  • The UA was very active with NASA’s Apollo program and helped in mapping the moon, finding landing spots and analyzing rocks brought back to the Earth.
  • Engineering students have a program that continuously develops the UA’s cognitive and autonomous test vehicle, or CAT vehicle. Simply put, it’s a self-driving vehicle.
  • Planted east of the Flandrau Science Center and Planetarium is a sycamore tree called the centennial Moon Tree. Its seeds traveled to the moon on Apollo 14 in 1976.
  • A John “Button” Salmon sculpture—the man, the myth, the legend behind the story of “Bear Down”—can be found on Cherry Avenue at the northeast corner of Arizona Stadium.
  • An actual meteor can be seen on the lawn outside Flandrau, with more beautiful stones located inside the UA Mineral Museum.