Police Beat

A UA employee found a large butcher knife in an outdoor trash can on the second floor of the Family and Consumer Sciences building, 1110 S. South Campus Drive, June 11.

Police were unable to locate the knife’s owner after checking with building staff. The officer filed a Property Release Authorization form to dispose of it.

A golf cart labeled “”Arizona Baseball”” was stolen from the UA Facilities Management garage, 513 N. Martin Ave., between June 8 and June 10.

A UAPD officer saw a golf cart being driven by two Hispanic males, both ages 18-20, one wearing a blue towel around his head, around 4 a.m. on June 10. When the officer’s spotlight shined on them, both men jumped out of the cart in a business parking lot near South Campbell Avenue and East 18th Street and ran down an alley.

The Facilities Management athletics property manager positively identified the cart. He subsequently determined that its garage had been left open, the keys obtained from within and the cart driven out. The cart was damaged on a right side panel, and the left headlight was dangling. Still missing are miscellaneous vehicle keys taken from the same garage.

The suspects have not been located.

A woman was stopped by police June 9 near East Sixth Street and North Second Avenue for driving 60 mph in a 30-mph zone.

The driver told police, “”I’m trying to get my daughter to a game,”” pointing to her 17-year-old passenger. The driver was cited for exceeding the speed limit by more than 20 mph.

Three 19-year-olds were caught with alcohol, marijuana and drug paraphernalia in the McKale Center south parking lot, 1721 E. Enke Drive, June 9.

Police approached a white 1996 Dodge Intrepid when they noticed a male passenger leaning out of a window to spit on the ground while holding two cans with a silver and blue design.

With permission, the officer searched the car and found a small bag of marijuana, four cans of beer – two open and two unopened – and a blue and red marijuana pipe in a purse. The driver also had a marijuana pipe in her purse.

The male was placed in handcuffs for an outstanding warrant and searched. He had a brown and black marijuana pipe in his front left pocket. He admitted to owning the pipe in his pocket, the pipe in the purse and all of the beer.

A female passenger independently claimed that the brown and black pipe was hers and that she had brought all of the beer from a friend’s house.

The driver and female passenger were cited and released. The male was booked into Pima County Jail for possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia, minor in possession of liquor and possessing open containers of liquor in a motor vehicle.

A Pepsi machine was overturned on the ground floor of the Student Union Memorial Center, 1303 E. University Blvd., June 8.

A university employee reported that the machine was undamaged when he started his shift, but that when he returned to the area around 1 a.m., he found it tipped over onto its face.

The officer and employee could not right the machine due to its weight and thus could not determine the extent of any damage. The officer contacted the Pepsi company after noting the model and serial numbers from the machine.

A university employee found a 9-mm bullet on the ground in Greenhouse #11 on the top level of the Sixth Street Garage, 1201 E. Sixth St., June 8.

The employee told police that he had been working in the greenhouse since early morning, but did not see the bullet until the afternoon. He said he saw a small object between the plant structures on the ground and picked it up. Realizing it was a bullet, he put it back and looked around. He then noticed a 2-inch hole in a glass roof panel just above where he had found the bullet.

Police did not check for evidence on the bullet because the employee had already touched it. No damage was found at any of the other UA greenhouses.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

A man was reported to be masturbating in front of a female student in a UA parking lot June 5.

The student had been walking to meet a friend for coffee and took a shortcut across the 7103 and 7102 parking lots, near the corner of East Sixth Street and North Fremont Avenue. As she began to walk west on East Sixth Street, the student heard a whistle from behind her. Turning her head, she noticed a thin man, about 40 years of age, standing between some cars in the second row of the lot, with his pants down around his thighs, looking at her and masturbating. He mumbled something she did not understand. She said she saw his genitalia as he masturbated, but saw no distinguishing aspects or marks on the man.

The student quickly left the area and contacted police. The area was “”extensively searched,”” but no suspect or evidence was found.

Police detained a man in his late 30s to 40s when he was seen walking in front of the Family and Consumer Sciences building around 1 a.m. June 5.

The officer followed the man, lost sight of him and then saw him again walking along East Fourth Street, near Yavapai Residence Hall, 1222 E. South Campus Drive. He stopped him because of the late hour and because the man switched directions upon seeing the officer.

The officer asked the man whether he was a student and why he was on campus. The man replied that his niece had been raped nearby three hours before and he was looking for the suspect. He said his niece had called the police and reported the incident.

Police dispatch then told the officer that a call had been made to report a bicycle theft nearby. After checking the man’s records, police noticed that TPD had flagged this man for suspicious activity and that he had bolt cutters in his possession.

After checking with dispatch, the officers also learned that there had been no rape reported by the man’s niece.

Another officer found bolt cutters nearby, along with a half-cut bike lock cable, but because the witness had hung up and would not answer the telephone, and police could not place the man near the cutters, they released him. He was warned against trespassing and told that if his fingerprints were found on the cutters, he would be charged with attempted theft.

A man was caught with a fake ID just 11 days before his 21st birthday, according to his valid ID, when his wallet was turned in to UAPD, 1852 E. First St., June 5.

When the man came down to pick up his wallet, he noticed something was missing, but would only say it was something he should not have had. After officer showed him the ID, a fake California driver’s license with the wrong birth date on it, the man said, “”Yeah, that one.”” He said he had had it for about a year, but refused to say where he got it. The man was cited for possession of a fictitious driver’s license and released.