Wildcat chat: Hockey travels to No. 1 ASU

Cecilia Alvarez / The Daily Wild
Cecilia Alvarez / The Daily Wildcat Senior Ansel Ivens-Anderson is currently the captain for the UA hockey team. Ivens-Anderson believes the Broncos will win the superbowl on Sunday.

For the first time in roughly three months, Arizona hockey will not be playing at the Tucson Convention Center.

This weekend the No. 14 Wildcats (14-15-0, 5-6-0 WCHL) travel north to Tempe, Ariz., for a pair of games against No. 1 ASU (28-1-0, 10-1-0 WCHL). The Wildcats look to carry the momentum gained from sweeping San Diego State (10-12-0) last week when they try to break a 36-game losing streak to the Sun Devils.

Puck drop will be tonight and tomorrow at 7:30 p.m. at Oceanside Arena.
The Daily Wildcat spoke with Ansel Ivens-Anderson about the upcoming series against Arizona’s most bitter rival.

Even when the Sun Devils were without superstars Brian McGinty, Danny McAuliffe, Sean Murphy, Alex Temby and Jordan Young, they were still able to sweep Arizona and outscore it 20-6 back on Dec. 6-7. Now that these guys are back, what do the Wildcats have to do to stay in the game?

We had a lot of guys out ourselves; we had a really short bench at the time. And even though we had some opportunities, we just didn’t play that well. We’re coming off a couple big wins, we’re confident in our ability and we have most of our team back and healthy.

After a three-month-long home stand, you all have to travel not only for the games this weekend, but for practice up in Chandler, Ariz., as well. What adjustments have you and the rest of the team had to make to get back into traveling?

Obviously traveling and practicing … in Chandler isn’t ideal, but it’s something we’re all used to doing and something the organization has had to do for a while. It’s just a little adversity we have to battle through. It’s going to be different on the road. We won’t have the same support that we do when playing in front of the great crowds at the TCC, but we’re not worried about it. It’s always nice to go on the road and steal a win in front of somebody else’s home crowd.

Assuming they would be able to ice skate or pick it up fast, which Wildcat on a different sports team would you like to see suit up for UA hockey?

That’s a tough one [laughs]. I’d have to say right now just because of how well they’re playing, it’d be great to have any of the basketball players on the ice, whether it’d be [T.J.] McConnell, [Nick] Johnson, [Brandon] Ashley or [Kaleb] Tarczewski. It would be very interesting to see them out there out of their element.

Who’s your pick to win the Super Bowl?

I have to go with the Broncos; I think it’s Peyton Manning’s time. I’m partial to them because I spent some time in Denver, so I enjoy it out there. But the Broncos have a great offense and I want to see [Richard] Sherman get more than he can handle.

—Follow Joey Putrelo @JoeyPutrelo