Kap Slap, 3LAU to perform at UA Mall Friday

Two mash-up DJ artists will perform at the UA’s free spring concert on the UA Mall Friday night.

Kap Slap and 3LAU will start at 7 p.m., courtesy of the Wildcat Events Board. WEB’s free spring concert cost around $30,000 to $40,000, according to Brittany Vraney, executive
director of WEB.

Due to a limited budget, WEB received some funding from UA administration to help with the cost of the event. WEB was working with a limited budget this year; less than the budget the group received to throw a Mac Miller concert last year, said Mike Mazzella, concerts director for WEB.

“Our logic behind it was basically that we could spend a lot of money to get a small rock band that not a lot of people know about and not bring that big of a turn out,” Mazzella said, “Or we could spend the money to get our two pretty predominant college mash-up DJ’s who create a great experience for the audience and who are going to play a lot of songs that are popular and that everybody knows and loves.”

The first 100 attendees will get free t-shirts and free glow sticks and glow paint will be handed out at the concert Friday. There will also be a photo booth, Vraney said. The event had 949 RSVP’s on Facebook as of 2:00 p.m. Wednesday.

Kap Slap is a 23-year-old senior at Lehigh University in Pennsylvania studying honors integrated business and engineering. 3LAU is a 21-year-old junior who attends Washington University in St.
Louis with an upcoming tour this fall. Both DJ’s travel and perform on the weekends while attending school during the week.

“I think the main point of this event,” Mazzella said, “Is to focus on the experience for the audience rather than the fandom for the performer.”