Arizona hockey splits weekend action against ASU

Ana Beltran
Cully Olsen (#14) and Dawson Marshall (#10) getting ready to take on ASU. The night resulted with the wildcats winning the Cactus Cup against ASU with a score of 4-0.

Arizona hockey split its weekend action against state rivals ASU at home on the ice.

Friday

Arizona hockey took the opening game of their two-night series against No. 10 ASU Friday night in a 6-4 victory. Forward Max Meyer had the game-winning goal and forward Alex Johanson added a goal of his own. 

Wildcat goaltender Anthony Ciurro stopped 26 of the 30 shots on goal from the Sun Devils.

Saturday: 

The Wildcats had two goals on the night. Forward Justin Plumhoff scored the first goal. He was assisted by a goal from forward Josh Larson. 

Wildcat goaltender Nolan Bivolcic stopped 21 of the 24 shots on goal from the Sun Devils, yet a lone overtime goal from Arizona State forward Brendan Studioso put the Sun Devils over the Wildcats 3-2.

What’s Next:

Up next, the Wildcats will host Central Oklahoma on Thursday at 7:30 p.m. inside Tucson Arena. They will follow up this game with a pair of daytime games vs. No. 19 Oklahoma University on Friday and Saturday. 

The Wildcats beat Central Oklahoma twice on the road this season by a score of 1-0 in the first game and 6-2 in the second game. Arizona also shut out Oklahoma earlier this season behind the goaltending effort of Ciurro.

Follow Jon Rice on Twitter