Football Notes: Defensive lineman suspended for violating team rules

Robert Alcaraz
Robert Alcaraz/ Arizona Daily Wildcat Wade Zelenak, the Pima County Public Library Bookmobile driver, stands in the bus where he checks books out to students on the UA Mall on Oct. 4, 2011. Zelenak has been the Bookmobile driver for 16 years.

Defensive lineman Justin Washington has been suspended for an unspecified violation of team rules, head coach Rich Rodriguez said after Tuesday’s practice.

“He’s gotta do some things to get back on the team,” Rodriguez said. “Right now, he’s not practicing. He’s gotta do some other things before we allow him to join the Wildcats.”

Washington, who was named a Sporting News freshman All-American in 2010, was listed as a co-starter at defensive end at the start of fall camp with sophomore lineman Kirifi Taula.

After recording 46 tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, six sacks and a blocked kick in his first year, Washington regressed in his sophomore season, finishing with 18 tackles, two tackles for loss and zero sacks.

In the spring, the 6-foot-2-inch, 268-pounder’s struggles extended off the field, as he was involved in an off-campus brawl involving four other players and was charged with one count of first degree criminal trespassing. While he wasn’t suspended for that, two teammates involved in the incident, offensive lineman Fabbians Ebbele and cornerback Jourdon Grandon, were suspended for the duration of spring camp for their alleged role in the brawl.

As if Washington’s suspension wasn’t already a big enough blow to Arizona’s defensive line depth, the Wildcats also are missing defensive end Dan Pettinato due to a leg injury suffered in a fall scrimmage.

“It’s a shame he got hurt,” Rodriguez said. “We were really counting on him. I think his progress is doing well coming off injury, and I don’t know if he’ll be available for Toledo (on Sept. 1) but he’s a guy that would be in the mix when he’s healthy.”

Pettinato, a sophomore, started three games and recorded 18 tackles in 2011 for Arizona.

Rodriguez hasn’t spoken with Hall recently

Safety Adam Hall tore his ACL in the Spring game and is expected to miss the entire season. Rodriguez, though, doesn’t appear to be sure what’s going on with Hall at the moment.

“I haven’t talked to him, I haven’t seen him,” Rodriguez said. “He was here at the first team meeting and he was not allowed to be in the meeting because he wasn’t in the 105, and since then our trainers have tried to communicate with him but we haven’t seen him yet.”

“I’ll have a meeting with him on Thursday.”

Hall, a senior, played in just one game in 2011 after suffering an ACL injury in a spring practice in April of last year. In 2010 he recorded 54 tackles, two interceptions and three pass break-ups in eight starts.

First regular season practice called due to rain

As a result of Tuesday night’s heavy rain, the Wildcats were forced to end their first official regular season practice an hour early.

“You gotta worry about things you can control,” Rodriguez said. “You can’t control the weather so I’m not worried about that.”