Campus clubbin’: something for everyone

Members from the Culture Rhythm Dance Crew, a UA club, perform at Stevie Eller Dance Theater as part of the School of Dance Spring Collection. The crew is an outreach program that teaches young people modern dance to help them stay off the streets.

Incoming freshmen can have a hard time finding their place in a large university but may find that joining one of the UA’s numerous clubs could be the right fit.

Students have the opportunity to get involved with any of the 666 clubs on campus that are officially recognized by the UA.

Incoming freshmen are encouraged to choose from a diverse list of recreational, professional, religious, sports and cultural clubs on campus because it will help them establish important social networks while having fun at the same time, said Kevin Nutter, student organization services coordinator.

Common interests

Many student clubs unite students with common interests. For William Kaner, a journalism senior, that interest was surfing.

Kaner came to the UA after spending a year living in Venice Beach, Calif., where he worked for a local surf shop.

While bored one day, Kaner was surfing the UA Web site when he came across the Arizona Surfers Club.

Kaner said he couldn’t believe that there were other students like him who were suffering from surf sickness in the desert.

Kaner met with the club members and made fast friends with them.

“”Everyone was down to earth and we all meshed well together,”” Kaner said.

Kaner has since become the club’s president and tries to schedule at least one trip to the coast per month.

“”We have some people who are in the club that don’t even surf. They just enjoy the beach. Everyone is welcome,”” Kaner said.

Daniel B. Boice, a returning senior majoring in philosophy, was the former president of the Philosophy Club. He plans on rejoining the club in the fall.

“”It was a great club. We’d talk about whatever and hold group discussions at local restaurants and cafes,”” Boice said.

Club recruitment

Students can meet representatives from many UA student clubs at the Student Involvement Fair on the UA Mall August 24 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

“”The fair is an excellent opportunity for students to get to know the clubs,”” Nutter said.

Many student clubs try to attract the attention of potential members on the UA Mall throughout the year.

Some of the more popular clubs at the UA, based on membership figures from the UA club listings on the Student Union Web site, include the Catholic Newman Center with 700 undergraduate members and 150 graduate members, the Association of Chinese Students and Scholars with 750 members, the College Republicans with 1,700 members, the Young Democrats with 950 members and Phi Beta Lambda, a pre-professional business club, with 5,018 members.

Damascus Road, a religious club, made its presence known to students on campus this summer by supplying free water to thirsty students that happen to pass by its tent on the UA Mall.

Some students were weary of why people were giving out free water and wanted to know what the catch was.

“”It’s a random act of generosity,”” said Ryan A. Miller, club adviser for Damascus Road. “”There’s no catch.””

Sports clubs

The Department of Campus Recreation offers an array of intramural activities and sports clubs for students looking for sports and recreation opportunities.

Intramural leagues and tournaments for the fall semester include floor hockey, inner-tube water polo, racquetball, soccer and other activities. League and tournament registration begins Aug. 21.

Some of the sports clubs that are registered and recognized by the Department of Campus Recreation include specialized martial arts clubs such as Bujinkan, a brand of martial arts that focuses on spiritual as well as physical training, and Capoeira, a form of martial arts that combines dance, acrobatics and music.

Other sports clubs include handball, soccer, ice hockey, rugby, lacrosse, rock-climbing, dance, ultimate frisbee and volleyball.

“”There are about 40 recognized sport clubs that range from the very competitive to the very recreational in nature,”” according to the Department of Campus Recreation Web site.

Start your own club

Students that can’t find a club they like can form their own.

Students wishing to form their own UA recognized club should follow these steps:

1. Find another student to help with organization. One of you will be the president and the other will be the treasurer.

2. Find an adviser to sponsor your club. Your adviser must be a full-time faculty or staff member. Teaching assistants or graduate students don’t count.

3.Create a constitution from the sample provided in the Student Organization Handbook or create your own.

Once these steps are completed, complete the necessary paperwork available in the Center for Student Involvement and Leadership, Room 404 of the Student Union Memorial Center, and turn it in.

Daniel Mejia, a music composition major, plans on starting his own paganism club this fall devoted to clarifying the “”mystery shrouding faith and wisdom.””

In order for a club to be recognized by the UA, the president and treasurer of all clubs must attend the Recognition Assembly on Aug. 31 in the Student Union Ballroom, Nutter said. “”Being recognized by the UA has its benefits,”” Nutter said. “”Last year, the (Associated Students of the University of Arizona) allocated over $75,000 for club funding.””

For more information on clubs, a list of clubs, or to view a copy of the Student Organization Handbook, go to http://www.union.arizona.edu/csil/clubs/index.php.

For a complete listing of all sports clubs, visit: http://campusrec.arizona.edu/sports/clubs.html