Police Beat: April 19

She takes what she wants

A non-UA affiliated woman was arrested and booked into Pima County Juvenile Correctional Center for shoplifting from the UofA Bookstore at noon on April 10.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer responded to the bookstore after reference to a juvenile shoplifter who was in custody. A security officer then told the UAPD officer that staff had seen the woman place items into an empty bag, then attempt to leave without paying, which was verified by surveillance.

The woman attempted to steal four shirts, running shorts and a baseball cap, totaling $145.97.

The UAPD officer then spoke with the woman, who said she was at the bookstore shopping with a cousin who attends the UA. She had bought several folders, but then saw several items, which she wanted, and attempted to take them with “no intention” of paying.

The woman was then taken to PCJCC and the video surveillance was placed into UAPD evidence.

Straight up

A UA student was transported to the University of Arizona Medical Center for extreme intoxication at 2:28 a.m. on April 9.

A UAPD officer and the Tucson Fire Department responded to Coronado Residence Hall in reference to the intoxicated student, whom they found laying face down on the floor.

The student had vomited but also had slurred speech, bloodshot eyes and smelled like alcohol. The student was unable to respond to questioning, but was conscious. He was then taken to UAMC.

The UAPD officer conducted a follow-up interview with the student the next day, because he was previously unable to answer their questions.

The student said he’d consumed about 10 shots of vodka at a friend’s house, but wasn’t fully certain, because he was “mainly drinking straight from the bottle.”

The student would not identify with whom or where he’d drank. He was then cited for minor with liquor in body and released.