Sports Briefs

Track set for championships

The No. 6 Arizona men’s and unranked women’s track and field teams will compete in the NCAA Track and Field Championships today through Saturday in Sacramento, Calif.

There will be 15 Wildcats competing in 17 different events.

The multi-event performers are senior distance runner Robert Cheseret in the 1,500- and 5,000-meter events and senior thrower Sean Shields in the discus and shot put. Both Cheseret and Shields won titles in the NCAA West Region Championships May 26-27 in Provo, Utah, in these respective events.

They paced the Wildcat men to a third-place finish, while the women placed ninth.

For his efforts, Cheseret was honored as the West Region Athlete of the Year. Earlier in the season he also won the NCAA Cross Country Athlete of the Year award and Indoor Track Athlete of the Year honors for the region.

Men’s golf finishes 13th, women’s 17th

The Arizona men’s golf team finished in 13th place at the NCAA Championships with a 16-over-par 1,168 score May 31-June 3 in Sunriver, Ore.

Junior Josh Esler paced the Wildcats with a 6-over-294, tying him for 48th place in the event.

Juniors Henry Liaw and Brian Prouty and sophomore Travis Esway all tied for 50th place with 10-over-298 scores.

Meanwhile, the Arizona women placed 17th with a 64-over-par 1,216 at their NCAA Championships in Colombus, Ohio, May 23-26.

Senior Cassandra Kirkland led the Wildcats with a 11-over-par 299, good for a 29th place tie, while freshmen Sommer Scholl and Adriana Zwanck tied for 43rd with 14-over-par 302 scores.