Arizona’s Kerr Kriisa returning home to Estonia until NCAA waiver is approved

Madeleine Viceconte

Sean Miller gives orders to his players during the game against Washington State University on Saturday, Feb. 9 at McKale Center. 

Arizona freshman guard Kerr Kriisa will miss the beginning of the season and return home to play for the Estonia National Team until the NCAA approves his eligibility, the team announced on Friday, Nov. 23. 

The school said they are “continuing to work with the NCAA to resolve the matter,” and expects Kriisa to return to Arizona, only missing a few games. Kriisa will be playing for the Estonia National Team until his eligibility is approved.

RELATED: Arizona men’s hoops season opener postponed after positive COVID-19 test within NAU program

“Given the situation, this is a great opportunity for Kerr,” head coach Sean Miller said in an official statement. “We wish him the best of luck in the competition and look forward to his safe return to Arizona.”

Kriisa is expected to play a big role in the Wildcats’ rotation this season, playing both point guard and shooting guard. The Wildcats will also be without freshman Daniel Batcho (knee) and senior forward Ira Lee (concussion) to start the 2020-21 season, which begins on Friday, Nov. 27.

Follow Jacob Mennuti on Twitter