Police Beat

Traffic violation leads to marijuana citation

An officer cited three people for various drug charges Feb. 6 at 11:45 p.m.

while on patrol near Sixth Street and Tyndall Avenue, an officer observed a vehicle going against the traffic sign that does not allow cars to cross Sixth Street to Tyndall Avenue. Because it was a turn only intersection, the officer pulled the vehicle over.

Immediately after making contact with the people in the vehicle, the officer noticed a strong odor of marijuana coming from inside. The officer asked the driver and two passengers to step out of the vehicle and sit on the curb.

As one of the passengers exited the vehicle, the officer saw a black pipe loaded with marijuana. The pipe was near the man’s feet, in plain view.

The officer asked the driver if he could search the vehicle because of the smell of marijuana. The driver then told the officer that all of the marijuana and paraphernalia in the car belonged to him, but they could search the vehicle.

Police found approximately 4.8 grams of marijuana in a pouch behind the driver’s seat, which one of the passengers said he put under a bag of chips. The pipe the officer had seen earlier was on top of a pink cosmetic bag. Inside the bag, officers found a black metal grinder with marijuana residue, a glass pipe with residue, rolling papers and a hand-operated roller.

All three men were cited for possession of marijuana. The driver and one of the passengers were also cited for possession of drug paraphernalia. All items found were confiscated and placed into evidence.

Crying, lying women breakdown

Three women were cited and released for being minors in possession of alcohol Feb. 6 at 11:38 p.m.

Officers observed three women walking near the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity house on Second Street. One woman had a silver can in her hand and another had a red cup with a straw..

Police made contact with the women. One woman denied being intoxicated because she was “”the D.D.”” Police noted she smelt strongly of alcohol. She had red, bloodshot, watery eyes and was very emotional. She cried while police were talking to her. She was asked to do a portable breath test, but was so upset that after six times, she was unable to get a reading. The woman admitted to drinking and lying to the officers.

Another woman told officers that she had soda and Skyy Vodka in her red cup. She poured it out in front of them, but was “”belligerent and argumentative.”” She said that there was a party at the SAE fraternity.

The last woman told officers that she had only had one shot. She was given a breath test, which showed her blood alcohol content of .107. She was also belligerent and argumentative with officers.

All three were cited and released.

Amnesia bout after friends bail

A woman was cited and released for being a minor in possession of alcohol Feb. 6 at 8:46 p.m.

Tucson Fire Department received a call in reference to a woman who fell and hit her head near the Coronado residence hall turn around. They were on-scene when police arrived.

Bystanders told officers that the woman had been with three other women when she fell forward, hitting her head on the pavement. The other three women left the area, and witnesses called 911. She was taken to University Medical Center to be treated.

When police arrived at the hospital, the woman asked them what happened to her. They told her what they knew. Her blood alcohol content was .353.

The woman was cited and released and also referred to the Dean of Student’s Office.

Unidentified partier splits head to bone

A man was injured after hitting his head on Feb. 6 at 1:30 a.m.

Police were flagged down outside the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. They were told that there was a man inside who had fallen and hit the back of his head.

When they went inside, police saw a man standing with a blood soaked towel. They tried to get him to sit down because he was unsteady on his feet, but he refused. They also tried to help hold his head steady in case he had a neck injury.

They asked him what his address was, but he refused to answer. He would not answer any questions from police.

Tucson Fire Department arrived and the man was turned over to them.

While speaking, his words were slurred, so police asked if he had been drinking. Other men said that he had. They also told officers that he was running on the second floor balcony when he fell backwards and hit his head on the concrete walkway.

TFD had placed a collar on the man and strapped him to a back board for transport. He became uncooperative and started to struggle with TFD. He would calm down, but then get excited and try to get away from them.

He was taken to University Medical Center where he refused to provide the doctors with any information about himself or his injuries.

Police spoke with hospital staff later who said that the man had a blood alcohol content of .35 and had split his skin to the bone. He did not have a concussion and they stitched up the wound.