Soccer finally wraps up road trip at LA Coliseum

Savannah Douglas
Savannah Douglas / Arizona Daily Wildcat Mykaylin Rosenquist (right) and Hayley Silverberg (left) defends against Hawaii on Friday.

Arizona soccer plays its final game away from Murphey Field at Mulcahy Stadium in the regular season when the Wildcats travel to Southern California to take on the USC Trojans today at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

To end what has been a difficult five-game conference road swing, the Wildcats (6-5-3, 1-4-0 Pac-12 Conference) will try to build off of last weekend’s split against the Oregon schools. Arizona recorded its first Pac-12 victory of the season last Friday when it defeated Oregon State 2-0, before falling to Oregon 1-0 on Sunday.

Freshman midfielder Jaden DeGracie said that getting their first conference win of the season was exciting for the Wildcats, but not overly surprising, considering the team’s attitude going into each game.

“It was amazing,” DeGracie said. “It’s expected too, though, because we’ve been working so hard, and we don’t go into any game not expecting to win. So when you finally get the victory, it feels so good.”

With just the lone victory in conference play, the Wildcats are currently in last place in the Pac-12.
In Arizona’s only game this weekend, the Wildcats will face off against a USC squad that is playing its best soccer of the season. After an undefeated set in the Bay Area last weekend, the Trojans were able to tie then-No. 8 Cal 1-1 before defeating then-No. 5 Stanford 1-0. USC (6-6-2, 1-3-1) had a slow start to Pac-12 play, losing its first three games by a combined score of 4-0.

Offensively, USC has been getting contributions from several players, as five Trojans have scored at least three goals, with senior Elizabeth Eddy leading the way with five of her own. Freshman forward/midfielder Kayla Mills, who is also a member of the U.S. Under-20 National Team, leads USC with 12 points.

While USC soccer usually plays its home games at McAlister Field, for only the 40th time in program history, the Trojans will call the Coliseum home. Arizona soccer has played in the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum twice before, losing in both 1997 and 1999.

Wildcat head coach Tony Amato says Friday’s battle with the Trojans will be like every game Arizona has played in the Pac-12: a difficult contest.

“They’re a good team,” Amato said. “They just beat Stanford and drew with Cal, so we know they’re a tough opponent. It’s not going to be an easy match, but none of our matchups have been easy this year. So, we have to bring the same level of intensity and competitiveness we have to all our games. We think if we do that, it will be a good game.”

The game will be televised on the Pac-12 Networks.

Next weekend, the Wildcats finally return home when they take on the Washington schools and begin a final five-game home stretch to end the season.

— Follow Brian Peel @BrianPeel91