Jerrard Randall leads record breaking offensive performance

Let this sink in. No. 20 Arizona set the school record for yards and points in a game with 792 yards in defeating NAU 77-13.

Four Arizona quarterbacks scored Saturday night. Two of Arizona’s touchdowns were from the efforts of quarterback Jerrard Randall.

The emergence of Arizona’s secret weapon is upon us progressing into Pac-12 Conference play; Randall could play an important part in the high-power Wildcat offense.

In the second quarter, Randall lined up as a slot receiver and even though he didn’t have a reception, he had a comedic reaction in the postgame press conference.

“I just got tired of running routes for nothing,” Randall said. “Receiver is a tough position to play.”

Quite frankly, the Wildcats’ offense is turning out to be the best option for the LSU transfer. Randall took reps at quarterback, but his arm was MIA, only completing one pass for eight yards. His legs on the other hand? Let’s just say they told a different story.

Randall led the team in rushing with three attempts for 149 yards. With an average of 49.6 yards per carry and a 73-yard touchdown run highlighted by his stiff-arming NAU’s Ronnie Manning, Randall had a more than productive day. In just a blink of an eye, the backup turned a quarterback draw into seven points.

The game was against a Lumberjack team that couldn’t catch a break after jumping out to a 3-0 lead after the first possession, but Randall showed the rest of the country why he’s Arizona’s newest weapon. Head coach Rich Rodriguez had kept Randall under the table, but now UCLA has to include him in this week’s game plan.

“He is an explosive athlete and he brings a certain dimension, especially with his ability to run,” Rodriguez said. “He gets more and more confident with each rep he has.”

Rodriguez also mentioned Randall’s personality off the field, which makes him even more of a fan favorite moving forward.

“He’s probably one of the most popular guys on the team because he works so hard,” Rodriguez said. “Sometimes we forget it’s only his second year in the system.”

The Wildcats are notorious for fast-paced, hurry up offense, but this was taken to another level Saturday. Following Arizona’s third victory of the season, NAU defensive back Cole Sterns mentioned Arizona’s offense as being a drag to keep up with.

Sterns expressed there wasn’t a sense of direction on the defensive side of the ball because of the Wildcats’ hurry up offense, as Arizona lined up in a different formation nearly every play.

Arizona is no stranger to converting players to the other side of the ball. Former receiver DaVonte’ Neal has already broken up passes and a blocked field goal for the defense.

Rodriguez can’t make up his mind with Johnny Jackson, taking him from receiver to defensive back and then back to receiver. It’s safe to say Jackson has adjusted to the offense, as he’s scored a touchdown in every game this season.

Arizona has a primetime slot on ABC this week and with USC, Colorado and ASU at loss, the Wildcats have a chance to separate from the rest of the almighty Pac-12 South.

If Arizona can use Randall to expose the potential of the offense, the Wildcats will sit comfy in the conference standings.

Follow Justin Spears on Twitter.