Arizona track and field hosts ASU, NAU

Arizona heptathlete Aleah Hurst competes in the javelin event in the Willie Williams Classic meet on Friday. Although she competed in individual events, javelin and shot put, on Friday, Hurst will compete in multiple events as a heptathlete in future track and field meets. Jeff Wick / The Daily Wildcat

Arizona women’s and men’s track and field teams will host their final home meet of the school year as ASU and NAU come to Tucson for the Double Dual.

The unranked men’s and No. 11 women’s teams will begin the meet on Saturday at Roy P. Drachman Stadium at 4 p.m.

The women’s team looks to defend its 2013 victory over its in-state rivals, while the men will attempt to do better than last year, as they had finished in second.

For the men, senior Lawi Lalang is scheduled to participate. The Kenyan is a Bowerman Finalist and a defending NCAA Champion in the 5K and 10K. This weekend, Lalang will run in the 800-meter and the 1,500 race. Alongside him will be teammates sophomore Dylan Hopper and freshman Collins Kibet. The other two Wildcats will also run in the same races. Junior Sam Macaluso and sophomore Sam Willis will join the three in the 1,500 race.

Redshirt junior Elvin Kibet has thrived on the women’s team this season. Fresh from a personal-best time and No. 2 school record time of 32:40.22 in the women’s 10K at the Mt. SAC Relays, Kibet will run this weekend in the 3K and 1,500 race.

As for the field events, redshirt senior jumper Nick Ross has soared this season and will look to continue his successful final season. He will high jump, long jump and triple jump at the Double Dual.

Wildcat Olympian shot-putter Julie Labonté is scheduled to compete this weekend in the shot put, discus and hammer.

—Follow Luke Della @LukeDella