Students gain ‘Experience’ in law school presentation

College of Law officials gave students a hands-on look Tuesday night at what law school is really like during an event titled “”The Law School Experience.””

The event kicked off a week of pre-law-geared events sponsored by the pre-law fraternity Phi Alpha Delta and Kaplan Test Prep.

“”The Law School Experience is part of a suite of free pre-law events offered at the university,”” said Glen Stohr, admissions and prelaw director for Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions. “”The students are going to get a snapshot of the first year of law school.””

The first half of the presentation mimicked a first-year law school class. Before the presentation started, each student was given a case to study. Instead of simply lecturing the class on the material, Stohr randomly picked students to explain the case to each other.

Using a series of leading questions, he encouraged the students to see different scenarios and analyze the case by thinking like a lawyer.

Stohr compared first-year law students to diamonds in the rough. Their future professors will hone and mold their abilities so the students use strategic reading, precise deductive skills and intensive case-analysis proficiently.

“”Kaplan and Phi Alpha Delta have a great relationship and came up with this idea together,”” said Sean Thrush, executive vice president of Phi Alpha Delta. “”We had a big demand from students to hear from an expert about what law school is really like.””

After the students debated the case, Stohr came out of character and had a discussion with the students about some of the realities of law school.

He explained that although some students think that law school will simply be an extension of college, there is a significant difference grade-wise, because grades are solely based on the final exam.

Although Stohr acknowledged that there are some major sources of stress during law school, he did not fail to emphasize the importance of preparing for the LSAT. He encouraged students to individualize their test preparation, because not all students study the same way.

“”The LSAT is very similar to law school in that the schools are looking to see if, when you lay it all on the line, you can succeed. This will apply in classes, when taking finals and eventually be applicable to students as lawyers,”” Stohr said.

Most of the students who attended were eager to participate in the discussion and voice their opinions, which Stohr pointed out is very rare, especially in a first-year law class.

“”This program definitely exceeded my expectations,”” said Dan Wilson, an English senior. “”I didn’t know that he was going to call on us randomly. When he called on me, I was surprised, but it was great to participate and explain my view about the case.””