Espresso Art V-Day party welcomes all

Joey Fisher / The Daily Wildcat

April Anderson, barista, laughs with her friend at Espresso Art Cafe on University Blouvard on Thursday.

Attention lovers, singles, players and heartbreakers: Espresso Art Café on University Boulevard will host a “Lonely Hearts and Lovers” party for Valentine’s Day tonight at 8:30 p.m. In the light, fruity haze of hookah smoke, partygoers can enjoy wine and drink specials, take pictures in a photo booth and have the chance to win prizes in a raffle.

Nathan Lacaze, a barista at Espresso Art Café who will be working the event, said that it will be an inclusive event and a great opportunity to meet new people.

“The point is to get people together, and you don’t necessarily need to have a date,” Lacaze said. “In fact, it’s a good place to go if you don’t have a date.”

Single or taken, young or old, Espresso Art Cafe wants everyone to feel welcome to attend the party.

Espresso Art Café director of marketing Sarah Foster said it is for people of all ages.

“This isn’t just an event for people 21 and over,” Foster said. “You have to be 18 to smoke hookah, but anybody can participate.”
    The raffle follows the all-inclusive vibe as well, and includes a range of prizes from wine and drink coupons to deals on coffee and hookah.

And if you are one of the lucky ones who are 21 and over, looking for a stiff drink to lighten your load but not into drowning yourself in cheap alcohol, then the bartenders at Espresso Art Café’s new back bar will surely have a drink for you.

“It’s really an artisan bar. Here it’s more of an art — it’s not somewhere you go to take shots; it’s a place to sit down and have a nice drink,” Lacaze said. “We are really taking time and preparing drinks that people enjoy.”

While the event is aimed to accommodate everyone, there is one stipulation that guests must follow to enter the party.
    “It’s going to a semi-formal event,” Foster said. “You should wear red or pink.”

The dress code aspect of the party is a draw for Espresso Art Café regular Daisha Westholter.

“I’m excited to see how everyone dresses. I already talked to a few [people] who have their outfits picked out,” Westholter said. “It’ll be fun to just take pictures and hang out with some friends.”

One of the people she referred to is April Anderson, who works at Espresso Art Café and plans to attend the event. Anderson said her Valentine’s Day outfit this year includes velvet maroon pants.
    But if you don’t have a pair of those, don’t fret. A pair of slacks or a nice blouse will do. No date? No problem. Short on cash? No worries.

“There is no cover,” Foster said. “It’s just a good place to get everyone together on a day where people think they are supposed to be with someone.”