REPORT: Arizona manager Jay Johnson hired by LSU as new head coach

Sofia Moraga

Jay Johnson, now former head coach for Arizona’s baseball team, talks about what he expects for the upcoming season during a press conference held on Tuesday, Feb. 6, 2018.

Arizona baseball manager Jay Johnson has been hired by Louisiana State University and will be named the new head coach of its baseball team, according to Kendall Rogers of D1Baseball.

Johnson was rumored for the position shortly after Arizona departed from the College World Series and became a finalist along with East Carolina coach Cliff Godwin and Notre Dame coach Link Jarrett. 

Johnson, 44, spent six seasons with the Wildcats and made three NCAA tournament appearances in that span. Arizona posted a 208-114 record under Johnson, including a national championship appearance in 2016.

The Wildcats concluded its 2021 season with a 45-18 record and won the Pac-12 title for the first time since 1992.

Johnson is set to replace former head coach Paul Mainieri, who retired after 15 seasons and made five trips to Omaha with the Tigers and won the national championship in 2009.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Follow Jacob Mennuti on Twitter