Staff Picks: Other Sporting Events

Florida State vs. Miami / Yankees vs. Twins

Back when I was a kid, I was a huge Miami fan. It never made sense, considering I’ve lived in New Jersey my entire life, but these things happen. I had every possible Miami hat, I was No. 88 in middle school football for Jeremy Shockey and I had an authentic orange Ken Dorsey jersey that I wore as often as I could before my mom would yell at me to grow up. Yeah, I was pretty cool. Unfortunately, my affinity for the ‘Canes has run its course. Ever since Willis McGahee shredded his knee and Glenn Sharpe didn’t commit pass interference against Ohio State I’ve just been disconnected. The good news is that I still hate Ohio State, but bad news is I’m picking former-UA defensive coordinator Mark Stoops and the Noles. This one goes down the middle, not wide right.

Florida State 23, Miami 20  

Back where I live, baseball is king, especially in October. If a person walking down the street doesn’t have on a Derek Jeter T-shirt jersey, (tee-sey?) then they either spend too much time watching Glee or are Mets fans and have no reason to wear their team’s shirt in October. Yet, out here, nobody cares about baseball, and I hate it. Turn it on, people, it’s playoff baseball. Anywho, the Yankees answered a ton of questions when they beat the Twins in game one despite an off night for CC Sabathia and proved in game two that they are still the world champions. Phil Hughes starts to etch his name into Yankees October lore this weekend and the Yanks sweep.

Yankees 6, Twins 0

-Tim Kosch

For the first time in four years, these teams will both be ranked for this typically entertaining rivalry game. Jacory Harris can be electric, but so can Christian Ponder, and this one looks like it could be a shootout with each team averaging over 30 points scored per game. This game has produced some classics, and it has the feel of that type of game heading in. I think this is Saturday’s under-the-radar game to watch, and look for the ‘Canes to take care of business at home.

Miami (FL) 31, Florida State 27

You kind of feel for the Twins. They quietly do their jobs while steering from controversy, and have some likeable players in Joe Mauer and Orlando Hudson. Unfortunately for them, that doesn’t translate into wins, and they are again in a familiar situation against the Yankees, down 2-0 in the series. Heading to the hostile Bronx won’t make things easy for the Twins (be prepared, Carl Pavano), and behind Phil Hughes, the Yankees sweep Minnesota and move on to the ALCS.

Yankees 7, Twins 3

– Michael Fitzsimmons

As the season continues on, the chances of a Jacory Harris pink suit appearance at the Heisman Trophy Ceremony is turning into pipe dream. With eight interceptions in three games, Harris will not welcome the pash rush presence of the Florida State defense, but the bevy of passing options that Harris has, he will be able to get the ball off. Seminole Quarterback Christian Ponder has still yet to throw a pick on the season, but the Hurricane D will be sure to return to pass rush favor.

Miami 34, Florida State 31

If there’s one thing I hate, it’s rooting for the Yankees. After 20-something World Series wins, there’s really no need to care about how many more they win. A stop and go September led to the Yanks securing the American League wildcard spot, but the Yankees and America knew they would end up in the playoffs. The postseason without the Yankees is just as obscure as Rex Ryan forgoing a meal — it doesn’t make sense. October belongs to the Yankees. After getting the 2-0 lead over the Twins in the divisional round, it’s time to move on. I know the Red Sox did it in 2004, but the Twins don’t have nearly as much to play for as the Sox did. Yankees win in three and send Joe Mauer to return to his cabin, put on his flannel and hibernate through winter.

Yankees 6, Twins 2

– Dan Kohler