Homecoming club Olympics: It’s about to get competitive

Wilbur+and+Wilma+Wildcat+gesture+to+the+crowd+during+the+2016+Haunted+Homecoming+bonfire+in+front+of+Old+Main+on+Friday%2C+Oct.+28%2C+2016.+
Rebecca Noble / The Daily Wildca
Wilbur and Wilma Wildcat gesture to the crowd during the 2016 “Haunted Homecoming” bonfire in front of Old Main on Friday, Oct. 28, 2016.

It’s officially Homecoming week here at the University of Arizona. The UA’s senior honorary, the Bobcats, will host a club Olympics with numerous games and events throughout the week. 

Sammy Cibulka, president of the Bobcats, talked about how the excitement level is a lot different this year compared to last. 

“Last year there was still a lot of stuff up in the air and this year a lot of people are getting excited,” Cibulka said. 

Honoraries, Greek Life organizations and sports teams will compete as well with an intention to bring members of the UA community together.

“I’m a member of Greek Life, so I am excited to see that bridge between Greek Life and the university and kind of begin that process of establishing a good reputation and knowing that they are there to make a difference as well,” Cibulka said. 

At the beginning of Homecoming week, there was a social media contest. Everyone who participated took a picture of their team and posted it. This contest is held first so that everyone can get to know which clubs and organizations will be competing. 

“Throughout the week there is a scavenger hunt of pictures throughout the campus … the more pictures you take the more points you get,” Cibulka said. 

On Tuesday, there was a water balloon toss. Two teams went head to head and the first team to drop the water balloon will be out. Although this game can seem simple, it brought out the competitive side of a lot of people. 

“I’m excited to see the excitement with a trivial game like that, which I think a lot of people can get excited about and there can be a decent amount of hype between the teams as they move forward,” Cibulka said.

The next day, there was a game called capture Wilbur and Wilma. This game is similar to capturing the flag, but instead of flags, teams were capturing stuffed Wilbur and Wilmas, the UA’s school mascots.

To end the Olympics, which Cibulka said would probably be his favorite day, is the mud tug. Maintenance at the UA will set up an area of mud where teams will compete in tug of war. The winner of the mud tug will get to play the Bobcats which the Bobcats are very excited about. 

The winner of the Olympics will be announced on Instagram on Friday. 

Something new this year is that Campus Pantry will have a tent at the Olympics where teams can donate needed items to earn points.

“This is a cool philanthropy side of Homecoming Olympics,” Cibulka said. 

Whether students choose to participate in this week-long event or attend and watch, it is guaranteed that this Homecoming Olympics is different than years past.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter