UAPD issues a Clery Timely Warning Notice for aggravated assault

Caitlin Claypool

University of Arizona Police Department headquarters.

Kiara Adams

On Saturday, April 16, University students received an email from UAPD Deputy Chief of Police Mario Leon, updating them on two recent incidents of aggravated assault on campus.

The first incident took place on April 10 at approximately 3:30 a.m., according to the notice sent to students. The incident took place on Sixth Street near the south side of Arizona Stadium. The students reported that a vehicle drove by them and someone within the car fired an airsoft gun at them, which ultimately ended up striking them multiple times. The injured parties described the vehicle that targeted them as a 2017 or newer white Ford Mustang convertible with a black top.

The next incident occurred on April 15, at approximately 11:40 p.m. Several students reported seeing a vehicle near Second Street and Olive Road that was described by the students as a black Ford or Subaru Hatchback with a yellow-colored license plate and blue LED lights on the vehicle. An occupant of the car used an airsoft gun and struck multiple people in the area. Pellets were also found near the Second Street Garage.

RELATED: UAZ DIVEST to have first meeting with UA Foundation prepared with list of demands

The suspect in the second incident was described in the Clery notice as a white male, college-aged, with brown hair, clean-cut, narrow jawline and having a black hat.

All students received the email and some students are slightly wary of what they should do about these incidents.

“I guess it’s a little shocking that someone is being that immature,” said freshman Rheanna Fernandez. “I can imagine it was scary for those students because they probably don’t know if it’s an airsoft gun at that specific moment it happens.”

UAPD is continuing this investigation into the two incidents. Leon said in an email to the Daily Wildcat that UAPD has no further information to share with the public at this time.

Follow Kiara Adams on Twitter