FIJI unites following brother’s death

Valentina Martinelli / Arizona Daily Wildcat

The members of Phi Gamma Delta gather outside of their house on Tuesday April 19, 2011. A member of the fraternity, Wilson Forrester recently passed away.
Valentina Martinelli
Valentina Martinelli / Arizona Daily Wildcat The members of Phi Gamma Delta gather outside of their house on Tuesday April 19, 2011. A member of the fraternity, Wilson Forrester recently passed away.

After the death of sophomore member Wilson Forrester earlier this month, the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity is doing well thanks to the support from the UA greek community.

Connor Riley, president of Phi Gamma Delta and a junior studying finance and entrepreneurship, said that his fraternity brothers have been coping “”surprisingly better than he thought they would be”” with a death that left the fraternity “”shocked”” and “”speechless.””

Forrester was found dead on Saturday, April 2, around 9 a.m. at the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity house. The University of Arizona Police Department is investigating the cause of death, and there was no indication of foul play or an on-going threat to the community, according to police.

“”Everybody just realized it happened for a reason, and it’s been a reality check for so many different people,”” he said. “”It was God’s hands at work, and we all understand that.””

Riley explained that his fraternity received a wealth of support from many different sororities and fraternities on campus, including letters, flowers, cards, pictures and cookies.

The Phi Gamma Delta fraternity does not know what the cause of death was and the investigation is still ongoing, according to Riley.

The fraternity had a golf tournament on Sunday for Forrester, and they are selling wristbands for $2 and Croakies, a type of sunglass strap, for $5 in his honor. They are also planning to have a separate philanthropy in the fall to honor Forrester.   

Earlier this month, a memorial service was held at the fraternity house, and around 350 students attended.  

Steven Otero, the president of the Interfraternity Council, said that the council would continue to offer its support to the chapter leadership in these difficult times. He added that the council recommend the community donate to the Wilson Forrester Memorial Fund.

“”Our heads are high,”” added Riley. “”We are optimistic.””