Women’s golf tied for 5th after Round 1

After having much of the past week off to focus on school, the No. 7 Arizona women’s golf team showed signs of rust yesterday at the Las Vegas Collegiate Showdown in Las Vegas, finishing the opening round tied for fifth place.

The Wildcats’ score of 7-over 295 leaves them trailing the tournament co-leaders, No. 2 ASU and No. 19 Oklahoma State, by three strokes.

“”We’re pretty fortunate to only be three shots back,”” UA head coach Greg Allen said.

Allen said the time off was evident in Arizona’s first round, but he expects his team’s play to improve today.

The Wildcats were once again led by junior Alison Walshe. The transfer from Tulane continued her outstanding play en route to a 1-under 71 on the day.

She currently sits in a seven-way tie for fourth place. Walshe enters the second round just two shots behind the individual leader, freshman Sarah Bradley of Oklahoma State.

Another positive to come out of the first day was the play of sophomore Amanda Wilson. After struggling for much of the season, Wilson carded her second-best round of the year, shooting an even-par 72. She is currently tied for 11th place.

“”It was good to see her bounce back,”” Allen said. “”When she plays well, she is the key to our success.””

Junior Mary Jacobs and sophomore Adriana Zwanck did not play up to their usual standards. They both shot 4-over 76 and stand in a tie for 45th place.

Allen said he’s not worried about Jacobs and Zwanck, though.

“”They’re kinda getting back in the groove,”” he said. “”They’ll play better (today).””

The Wildcats will tee off in the second round today at 10:20 a.m. The tournament is being held at the Anthem Country Club, a par-72, 6,175-yard course.

Men eliminated from Match Play

The No. 64 Arizona men’s golf team lost its second match at the Callaway Golf Collegiate Match Play Championship, eliminating the Wildcats from the tournament.

The Wildcats squared off against No. 15 Nevada-Las Vegas in the consolation bracket yesterday. After falling to No. 2 Florida 3 and 2 Sunday, the Wildcats lost by the same margin to the Rebels.

The early exit was just the latest in a string of disappointments for the Wildcats. The team has struggled through a difficult fall season and finishes the semester at the CordeValle Collegiate Nov. 6-7 in San Martin, Calif.