New shuttle service helps people drink without driving

Courtesy Courtney Vernick
Local craft beer fans drink down some suds before leaving Harbottle Brewing Company. The Brew Van, Tucson’s first brewery shuttle service, will launch on Friday, August 31.

Drinking and driving claims thousands of lives every year. In 2016, 10,497 people died in alcohol-related crashes, according to a study by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. 

Matt Wittal, an aerospace engineering grad student, may have created a way to lower these numbers. Beer aficionados can now get to and from bars safely and cheaply with his new brewery shuttle service.

The Brew Van

The Brew Van is a Tucson shuttle service that will take local and visiting beer drinkers from Dragoon Brewing Company to other breweries along a route running through downtown Tucson.

According to Wittal, the shuttle’s initial route will consist of six stops strategically situated to provide access to 15 local breweries, including Borderlands Brewing Company, Public Brewhouse, Copper Mine Brewing Company, Harbottle Brewing Company, Dragoon Brewing Company and 1912 Brewing Company. 

A map featuring the full 15-brewery list is available at bigbrewvan.com

RELATED: AD Heeke: Beer sales to start for BYU game Sept. 1

How does it work?

According to Wittal, shuttles named after different types of beer — you could find yourself riding in “Amber” — will arrive at the stops approximately every 40 minutes to drop off and pick up riders. Four will start at Borderlands on Fridays and Saturdays from 4:30-10:30 p.m. and will pick up riders anywhere along the route. 

The Brew Van patrons party it up on a custom brewery tour. The Brew Van provides shuttle services and tour services for local craft beer fans.

“We are creating an integrated, Uber-like map technology so that you can see where your van is at,” Manager Ty Young said.

The Sunday shuttle service will be offered from 12-6 p.m., but with only two vans. 

“Our drivers are Sun Tran drivers; they have their CDL (Commercial Driver’s License),” Young said. 

RELATED: Campus Guide: Over 21 Hotspots

Payment and Membership Options

The Brew Van offers both monthly and yearly passes. Monthly passes are $60 with a plus-one included. Annual memberships cost $540 and include a plus-one and first dibs on various giveaways and special events.

Riders can also purchase a one-night pass for $20 or a single ride for $5, the only pass that does not entitle the buyer to a Brew Van wristband. Passes can be purchased online or in person, but buyers should be aware that in-person transactions can only be conducted via debit or credit.

The Brew Van’s official launch party is scheduled for 5-10 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 31 at Borderlands Brewing Company. According to its press release, the event will feature a number of activities such as beer trivia, raffles, prizes and free rides for the evening.

“We’re here for the local breweries, the local people,” Young said. “Ultimately, safety is our most important concern.” 

Follow Jon Rice on Twitter