Greek life and campus organizations float their way to victory

As midterms are underway, Wildcats are thankful for one of the biggest celebrations on campus every year: Homecoming.

Taking a break from all the stresses of school to celebrate what the UA is truly about is what makes being a Wildcat so unique.

According to the UA Alumni Association, there are many planned festivities to look forward to for Homecoming, including the bonfire, the pep rally, the parade and, of course, the big football game.

Last year’s Homecoming was huge, as it marked the centennial of the UA’s Homecoming celebrations.

This year will be just as big as the last, as the university celebrates not just Homecoming but 100 years of Greek Life on campus, according to the Alumni Association website. Many sororities, fraternities and clubs highlight their creative sides by constructing Homecoming floats are representative of what their individual organizations are about or what the UA means to them.

The Homecoming float parade happens every year and gets pretty competitive. Each float is observed by a group of judges who decide which one is best.

A theme for the float competition is decided and announced months before Homecoming to allow UA’s greek chapters and university-related clubs to put their best feet forward. Last year’s theme was “Celebrating Homecoming 100,” but this year, the Alumni Association chose no specific theme; they allowed the organizations to get creative and come up with their own ideas.

Wildcats are always up for a challenge, and from the looks of it, the UA Student Alumni Ambassadors are no different. In the hopes of winning this year’s competition, the club worked hard to come up with a unique theme for its Homecoming float.

“Our theme is ‘Wildcats Across the Nation,’ and it basically represents various landmarks [and how] we are a Wildcat nation,” said Annie Kosky, a student alumni ambassador and a senior studying sports management and political science.

Melissa Gates, a psychology sophomore and the co-chair for the Student Alumni Ambassadors’ float, said she thinks the club’s float should win.

“This year’s SAA float represents that no matter where we come from or how far away we go, you are still a Wildcat for Life and we are a Wildcat nation,” Gates said.

Kosky said the float proved a laborious task, but the Student Alumni Ambassadors’ hard work will definitely pay off in the end.

“It’s a huge time commitment, but it’s so exciting to see all the different clubs represented on a float,” Kosky said.

Kosky also said the UA’s Homecoming is better than that of any other school.

“Homecoming is a very meaningful tradition here at UA,” Kosky said. “It represents how alumni and current students are Wildcats for Life. … No other school has the diverse traditions and events that we host throughout Homecoming week, [such as] the lighting of “A” Mountain and the Homecoming parade.”

The Homecoming festivities began Oct. 22 and will continue through Sunday, Oct. 25. Catch all the parade action on the UA Mall this Saturday at 9 a.m. as Wildcats show their pride float style.

Kosky said she really enjoys seeing such a united university throughout Homecoming.

“There’s nothing better than a UA Homecoming and [wearing] our red and blue pride that is [seen] throughout campus.”

Follow Ciara Biscoe on Twitter.