‘Rocksmith’ turns button-mashing to guitar-thrashing

If you’ve always wished games like “Guitar Hero” or “Rock Band” actually taught you how to play a real guitar, then you’re in luck. A new game called “Rocksmith,” published by Ubisoft, was released on Tuesday. And now the new game is coming into the UA — Park Student Union’s Code, a video gaming center, where anyone can try the game out for free.

The event will take place Saturday from 2 to 11 p.m. with demos of the game going and freebies for those who stop by.

Don’t be discouraged if you’ve never played guitar though, because the whole point of “Rocksmith” is to learn.

“It’s sort of different,” said Bill Deer, Ubisoft representative and the event’s organizer. “You learn to play the guitar and it learns how well you play. So it will go from, if you’re just a beginner, to playing individual notes instead of chords.”

Even the most novice player can strum along to the same note every four or five seconds with this feature of “Rocksmith.” Besides, this is what gamers have been asking for — a music game aimed at those who want to learn. Sure, “Guitar Hero” and “Rock Band” let you pretend, but there was always a great clamor for an experience that would help one learn to play in real life.

Speaking of playing real guitars, the game also works with any electric guitar, including electric acoustic guitars. According to Deer, all that needed is a quarter-inch input in order to play the game on your guitar. That means people who already know how to play and own a guitar can start rocking out right away, and learning how to play songs they might not have learned yet.

As for pricing, “Rocksmith” is being packaged as $79.99 for a copy of the game and the quarter inch-input adapter that allows real guitars to be used. There is also a guitar bundle for $199.99 that includes everything in the regular version plus a functioning Epiphone Les Paul Jr. guitar, a strap and 2 guitar picks.

As for in game statistics, there are 48 songs on the track list, all classic rock songs that are sure to please. Plus, while learning and earning points, you unlock new venues to play at, which according to Deer are based on real places.

If it seems like a big investment to make, trying it out at the event is the best course of action.

“Everybody should just come in and try it,” Deer said. “Once you get into it, you’re really having a great time.”