Arizona women’s track and field has victorious weekend in Tempe

Kelsee Becker
Kelsee Becker / Arizona Daily Wildcat Jonathan Giess places 9th in Mens Javelin with a 52.93m throw. UA hosted the 2013 Jim Click Shootout at Roy Drachman Field on Saturday, April 6.

The No. 3 Arizona women’s track and field team was victorious this weekend against ASU and NAU at the Double Dual Meet this weekend in Tempe, Ariz.

Their score against ASU was 102-87 and 113-58 over NAU. The UA men’s squad fell to ASU with a score of 118-79, but beat NAU 104-66.

In the field events, senior Brigetta Barrett placed first and tied her season-best mark of 6-4.25. This mark still holds the best mark in the country and in the world and was also good for her 23rd – straight collegiate win. Barrett also clocked a personal-best time of 55.04 in the 400-meter race. For the men’s high jump, senior Edgar Riviera-Morales tied his personal best with a mark of 7-5.75, which is No. 3 in the nation and No. 2 in UA history.

In the women’s hammer throw, sophomore Baillie Gibson posted a personal-best mark of 204-1 and took second place. On the men’s side, senior Tyler Johnson had a season best mark of 206-6, and also placed second. Senior Julie Labonté took second in the discus with a personal-best mark of 178-6. In third place, senior Alyssa Hasslen made a toss of 173-5, a season-best. Gibson took fourth with a mark of 172-1. Senior Asia Easley won the javelin with her toss of 144-11. The victories continued with Labonté, whose toss of 56-10 in the shot put earned her first place. Hasslen followed in second with a toss of 56-2.5.

For the running events, senior Georganne Moline placed first overall in the 400-meter hurdles with her season-best time of 54.94. For the men’s, senior Clifton Leake placed first in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 51.98. Junior Neil Houlihan placed third with a personal-best time of 53.65. In the 100-meter hurdles, freshman Traci-Lynn Hicks placed second with a personal-best time of 13.89.

Junior Tamara Pridgett placed third in the 400-meter run with a personal-best time of 54.41. In the 100-meter dash, junior Germe Poston placed first with a time of 11.62 and junior Shapri Romero took third with a time of 11.82. Romero went on to compete in the 200-meter dash where she clocked a time of 23.51, good for first place and Poston took third with a time of 23.98.

In the men’s 1,500-meter race, junior Lawi Lalang made his season debut. His time of 3:41.52 was good for No. 8 in the country and fastest in Double Dual Meet history. Lalang went on to win the 5,000-meter race with a time of 13:40.85. Sophomore Nicci Corbin won the women’s 1,500-meter race with a time of 4:29.90. Senior Jen Bergman won the women’s 5,000-meter race with a time of 16:59.42, best in meet history. In the men’s 800-meter race, senior James Eichberger won with a time of 1:52.14.

“We saw some fantastic marks happen here and it was a big fight from our team that you want to see going into the conference championship,” head coach Fred Harvey said in a press release. “All the ladies did a fantastic job. They came together and they fought really well. As we go forward, we’re trying to get the team excited about the Pac-12 championships.”