Cunningham comes up clutch

After beating Texas A&M, 7-4, in the second game of a double header Sunday, the Arizona baseball team will play a winner-take-all game against the Aggies on Monday at 4:35 p.m.

Arizona’s win on Sunday was an improbably one. Starting pitcher Tyler Hale was hit in the arm by a line drive with no outs in the third inning and had to leave the game. But sophomore right-hander Nick Cunningham came on in relief, and tossed 5.1 scoreless innings while allowing only two hits. 

Arizona, the designated home team, trailed 2-1 after five innings, with the only run coming on a Josh Garcia solo home run. But the Wildcats scored three runs in each of seventh and eighth innings, highlighted by a Jett Bandy double down the left-field line that gave the Wildcats their first lead of the game. 

Junior left-hander Matt Chaffee came on with one out in the eighth inning, and recorded the next two outs without incident. 

But things got interesting in the ninth, despite Arizona entering the inning with a 7-2 lead. Chaffee walked three Aggie batters and committed three balks in the inning, allowing A&M to close the game to 7-4 before Chaffee recorded the final out via strikeout with runners on second and third. 

Arizona extended its lead to five runs on a Bobby Rinard two-run double in the eighth. 

The winner of Monday’s game will play either Florida State or Alabama. If Florida State wins, the Super Regional will be held in Tallahassee, Fla., and if Alabama wins, either Texas A&M or Arizona will host the Super Regional.