Tennis duo falls short of winning conference title

Senior Sarah Landsman and freshman Hailey Johnson made it to the Pac-12 Women’s Doubles Invitational finals on Sunday for the Arizona women’s tennis team, but lost in a close match to California’s Tayler Davis and Laura Posylkin.

Landsman and Johnson came into the tournament ranked No. 1. After three victories, the duo was Arizona’s last hope for coming away with a Pac-12 championship. Just games separated Landsman and Johnson from victory when they fell to the California duo 7-9.

In singles play, Landsman was one match shy of making it to the Pac-12 Women’s Singles Invitational finals. She came in ranked No. 5 in the singles tournament.

As the semifinals began, Landsman took on USC’s Gabi Desimone. Desimone limited Landsman two wining games in both sets with scores of 6-2, 6-2.

Meanwhile, sophomore Lacey Smyth and senior Natasha Marks came up short in both the Pac-12 Women’s Singles and Doubles Championships.

Smyth needed wins this weekend to push her singles rank into the top 30, but she lost in the first round of play to California’s Anett Schutting 6-4, 6-2.

Even though Marks made it past the first round, she hit a brick wall in the second round against Cal’s Zsofia Susanyi. Susanyi shut out Marks in the first set and held her to one game in the second set.

Marks and Smyth’s last chance to advance in the tournament quickly ended in the first round of doubles play. The Arizona duo known for comeback victories could not outlast its USC opponent, losing by just two games, 7-9.

The Wildcats came home without a Pac-12 Championship title, but await to see what is in store for the NCAA Championships this weekend. The selection show will take place at 5 p.m. on Tuesday and be shown on NCAA.com.