ASUA senators reflect on experiences

%09Tyler+besh%2Farizona+Daily+Wildcat+%0A%0A%09Senators+of+the+Associated+Students+of+the+University+of+Arizona+held+their+last+meeting+of+the+semester+Wednesday+evening.+Senators+discussed+their+successes+and+failures+during+their+time+in+office.+

Tyler besh/arizona Daily Wildcat

Senators of the Associated Students of the University of Arizona held their last meeting of the semester Wednesday evening. Senators discussed their successes and failures during their time in office.

Senators of the Associated Students of the University of Arizona 2012-13 senate class held their last meeting Wednesday evening, where some members grew emotional as they shared their experiences.

The meeting kicked off with discussion over a summer scholarship proposed by ASUA Senator Vinson Liu and senator-elect Dakota Staren. The senate approved funding for the scholarship, which aims at assisting students taking courses over the summer. Although funding was approved, the senate decided to create a committee to work out the details after some senators disagreed over details like whether the application should be based on financial need or merit.

Following the approval of funding, senators thanked one another and reflected on their past year and platforms.

Sen. Morgan Abraham, ASUA president-elect, was the first to speak.

“I had an amazing time serving with you all,” Abraham said. “I think I’ve definitely created some amazing friendships and learned so much, and hopefully bettered students through it.”

Senator Taylor Ashton and Senator Valerie Hanna also agreed that the year had been a defining one.

Despite any disagreements among senators, Hanna said she was appreciative of the senate’s discussions because of how much she learned.

“It’s kind of crazy looking back at the year and how my opinions or my point of views changed because of what you guys brought to the table,” Hanna said. “That’s been a big learning point for me and something that I’m excited to kind of carry on for the rest of my life.”

Hanna added that she was thankful for this past year and the senate, as well as ASUA President Katy Murray, Executive Vice President Krystina Nguyen, Administrative Vice President Paige Sager and Sen. Brian Seastone.

Liu spoke about his platform and said the senate helped him grow as a leader.

“I agree with all of you guys, this has really been a defining year,” Liu said. “Just overall, it helped my passion for ASUA grow so much.”

Liu said his platform — increasing academic resources and outreach — had hit a few roadblocks.

There were some victories, however, such as the summer scholarship, more library hours during finals and senator office hours on the UA Mall, Liu added.

Sen. Bryan Namba also spoke about his platform of outreach and textbook costs. Asking for more money back for textbooks wasn’t exactly feasible, he said, though he had been able to build connections with the library advisory committee.

Sen. Joel Torres thanked the Senate class with tear-filled eyes and gave advice to the senator-elects sitting in the audience.

“I truly, truly love each and every single one of you guys,” Torres said. “You guys really made my last year here amazing. We bickered, we argued … just like a family does.”

Torres advised the new senator class members that though they will argue and disagree, they shouldn’t hold it against one another and should instead rely on and cherish one another. Some senators had a harder time giving their last report than others, including Nguyen, who cried while thanking everyone.

“I’m very proud of all of you. You’ve all accomplished so much so you should be very, very proud of yourselves,” Nguyen said. “I have the next EVP, the next student body president and the student regent sitting in my senate class.”

If you go:

Inauguration for the next senate class will be on May 1 in front of Old Main at noon.