Around town

Around town

Wednesday, Nov. 4

“”Motherland Afghanistan.”” Turn on the news, and it’s either about health care or Afghanistan. Go to this documentary, and it’s about health care in Afghanistan. At least you won’t get any commercials. 7 p.m. Gallagher Theater. Free.

“”Jackrabbit Sky.”” This locally made film tells the (fictional) tale of a naturalist trying to stop the destruction of an Arizona copper mine in 1939. Screenwriter and director Andrew Bergmann will be there in person to answer your questions. Please don’t ask him how he went back in time so he could film the movie in 1939. 7:30 p.m. The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd. $8.

Thursday, Nov. 5

“”A Delicate Balance.”” This 1966 play is by Edward Albee, whose other plays include “”Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?”” and “”The Goat, or Who Is Sylvia?”” They are, respectively, about a married couple yelling at each other and a man who falls in love with a goat. You can’t accuse him of picking boring subjects. This is a preview performance; visit theroguetheatre.org for further show times during the month and ticket information. 7:30 p.m. The Rogue Theatre, 300 E. University Blvd. $18.

Drinking Liberally. A friendly meeting for discussion of all public affairs. That’s “”liberal”” as in political persuasion, not as in “”overconsumption of liquors.”” We think. 7-10 p.m. The Shanty Cafe, 401 E. Ninth St. Free (except for the drinks).

Friday, Nov. 6

fun. This New York-based band released its debut album, Aim and Ignite, in August. According to the band’s MySpace profile, one of its members has written a musical about Christopher Columbus. And we all know there’s no one more “”fun”” than Columbus, unless you happened to be an indigenous resident of the New World. All ages. 7 p.m. Club Congress, 311 E. Congress St. $13.

Mostly Bears. According to the Plush Web site, this band has “”become a force to be reckoned with.”” Which we can only presume means that they could beat you in a thumb-wrestling contest any day of the week. With Nico Vega and The Ghost Drive. Doors open at 9 p.m. Plush, 340 E. Sixth St. $5.

Saturday, Nov. 7

Tucson Celtic Festival and Scottish Highland Games. The 23rd annual local celebration of Scottish, Irish and Welsh culture, featuring everything from music to a jumping castle to bagpipe contests. Don’t forget to wear your kilt, laddie, and keep your eye out for leprechauns. And since I can’t think of any suitable cartoonish stereotypes for Wales, I’ll stop there. 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday. Rillito Raceway Park, 4502 N. First Ave. $12 for those 16 and older, $5 under 16, free for “”wee ones”” under 6.

Batucaxe. No, not “”Batcave.”” This is a Brazilian-influenced Tucson drum and dance ensemble, and its name is pronounced “”bah-too-cah-sheh.”” So don’t even think of going to the show and yelling “”Where’s Robin?”” 7 p.m. Club Congress, 311 E. Congress St. $5.

Sunday, Nov. 8

International Tucson Guitar Festival. Sadly, we don’t think this is an air guitar contest, but it’s probably still worth checking out. Kicks off today and continues through Friday. Call 621-1162 for more information. 2:30 p.m. Holsclaw Hall. $5 for students, $9 for non-students.

Monday, Nov. 9

“”Sundries.”” This concert features UA faculty artists performing blues, jazz and folk compositions. If you enjoy blues, jazz and folk, this concert is for you. And who doesn’t enjoy blues, jazz and folk, apart from people who think “”Baby One More Time”” is an oldie? 7 p.m. Holsclaw Hall. $5.

“”The Young Honduran Revolution.”” A documentary about student activism in Honduras, featuring footage of a police attack on a university. And you thought your semester was tough. In Spanish with English subtitles. 7 p.m. Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering building, Room S202. Free.

Tuesday, Nov. 10

The New Heathers. Every now and then Winona Ryder threatens to make a sequel to “”Heathers.”” We like to think that this St. Louis band — a side project of Ludo — formed just to make her think that someone else had already done it, so she’d give up the idea. (Though hey, it is Winona — maybe she’ll just stuff the idea in her purse and try to sneak out the door.) With Without a Face, Ha Ha Tonka and Meese. Doors open at 8 p.m. Plush, 340 E. Sixth St. $12.

Sugar and Gold. We hear this band gives out free bags of sugar and gold from the stage. OK, just kidding. They actually throw it at the audience. No, not really. They’re actually made out of sugar and gold. Well, no. They’re just a band called “”Sugar and Gold.”” Sorry to get your hopes up.  With The Runaway Five and Mean Beans. Door opens at 8 p.m. Club Congress, 311 E. Congress St. $5.

— compiled by Justyn Dillingham